Perfecting the Forward Cast

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Good video for a beginner Larry. Once you learn to recognise the issue with loops you can start assessing what you have done in the cast to correct the problem.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I spotted this over on Modly Chum: Here is a great video by Simon Gawesworth on how to perfect your forward stroke and some common casting problems.

S2 E2 How to Perfect Your Forward Cast on Vimeo
That dude is legit. I learned to double haul from watching his double haul video. Got me doing it in one practice session. Good tips here too. College finals are almost done. Can’t wait to get back at it.

section_corner

Reaction score
While this is an older video, it's great. Based on the descriptions of forward casting errors, I'm dealing with creep and punching the stop. This gives me a good starting point to correct/improve my casting stroke. Thanks for posting this.

WVhillbilly

Reaction score
Great video. I'm just trying to pick this fly fishing thing up and that video showed me things I hadn't found in any other casting video.

silver creek

Reaction score
Simon describes rod "creep" starting at this point in the video,

This Orvis video also demonstrates creep.

The opposite of Creep is Drift and this is what fly casters who want to improve their casting distance should work on.

Rod creep can result in tailing loops. So if you cast tailing, especailly when making long casts, the reason may be that you are creeping your rod on the forward cast.

A tailing loop is caused by the sudden and uneven application of power/acceleration during the casting stroke. This pulse of sudden acceleration causes the rod chord to shorten, and this rod shortening caused the rod tip to dip which results in the tailing loop. The earlier the rod dip, the later in the cast the tailing loop will form.

Although creep does not HAVE to cause a tailing loop, it can be the cause because it decreases the potential length of the rod rod stroke and this causes the caster to accelerate the rod stroke to increase line speed so the length of the cast is preserved. It is this compensatory need for a greater rate of acceleration that causes caster to form a the tailing loop.

This has been called a "creep and jab" causing a tailing loop. I was introduced to this term in an article by Jim McLennan in Fly Fisherman Magazine. The "jab" is the early acceleration really due to creeping after the stop on the back cast. This shortens the stroke length for the following forward cast and that result in the tailing loo

Jim McLennan writes, "Here’s how it works: After the backcast, there is supposed to be a pause while the line straightens out behind the caster. During this pause the rod hand should not move forward. However, many casters begin to slowly creep the rod hand ahead while waiting for the backcast to straighten. When the line becomes straight, there isn’t enough space left between the start and stop positions to make a proper forward cast."

Therefore, whether a tailing loop will result depends on the amount of the creep and the length of the cast. So while a certain amount of creep may not cause a tailing loop in a short cast, it will for a long cast.

I believe creep is more prone to occur when the caster is attempting a long cast. Here's an additional reason this is so. With a longer cast there is a greater delay between the the back cast and forward cast; and therefore, there is more opportunity for the caster to begin to creep in anticipation of the longer forward rod stroke that is needed for a longer cast.

If the caster is not used to making longer casts, I believe they have less "feel" for the timing between the back cast and the forward cast. As a result this inexperience can result in the creep that causes a jab that causes the tailing loop.

silver creek

Reaction score
The Sage Casting Analyzer was a device that was mounted to the bottom of the fly rod butt that was linked to a Palm Pilot. It produced a graph of the angler's cast to detect casting faults.

Ideal cast graph is below. Note the symmetry of the tracings of the forward and backward casts.

Pasted Graphic.png

Many. many years ago, I had the opportunity to try the casting analyzer at a fly fishing exposition and it that I had some "creep" before my forward cast. I was completely oblivious to the rod creep. But when I saw the graph, there was no denying it. So I worked on eliminating the creep and adding some drift.

Last edited:

Rayzor32

Reaction score
I knew about the Sage casting analyzer but never used it or saw it used.

I always thought it was a cool idea and i think something like that would help me improve my casting quite a bit.

e caster

Reaction score
The Analyzer was a blast to use - great fun experimenting and tweaking one's casting stroke, trying to get a perfect Smoothness rating. It was a big deal (amongst us casting geeks... ) years ago when Bruce had it at the Somerset Fly Fishing Show.

Last edited:

Bigdane

Reaction score
Actually if you want to make a long cast you should extend the creep just prior to the forward cast. That way you will have a longer stroke to accelerate the line. It takes perfect timing, but with a bit of practice it's doable.

silver creek

Reaction score
Actually if you want to make a long cast you should extend the creep just prior to the forward cast. That way you will have a longer stroke to accelerate the line. It takes perfect timing, but with a bit of practice it's doable.
Being in Denmark, English may not be your native language. So I think you mean "drift" and not "creep".

"Drift" is good and "Creep" is bad. Don't be creepy!

I explain the difference in this post.

Last edited: