I can't cast as far with my new 3wt as I can with my 5wt.

harryhh

Reaction score
Hi All,

Over the winter I purchased a new William Joseph 3wt rod and a used Orvis Clearwater 3/4 reel. The reel came with a WF3F line that appears to be an Orvis Clearwater line that seems to be in good shape.

I can only cast this new 3wt about 2/3 or 3/4 as far as I can my 5wt that also has an Orvis Clearwater WF5F line.

Is it normal to cast a 3wt that much less than a 5wt?

Harry

flytie09

Reaction score
Yes. It is normal to cast a 3 Wt less farther than a 5 WT line. It’s all a function of physics.... mass, gravity, momentum, etc.

I personally use my 3 WT on smaller streams primarily as there’s no need to bomb casts.

ft09

dillon

Reaction score
Hi All,

Over the winter I purchased a new William Joseph 3wt rod and a used Orvis Clearwater 3/4 reel. The reel came with a WF3F line that appears to be an Orvis Clearwater line that seems to be in good shape.

I can only cast this new 3wt about 2/3 or 3/4 as far as I can my 5wt that also has an Orvis Clearwater WF5F line.

Harry
Yes, I don't even own a 3 wt. because i don't fish small streams. A 3 wt. line doesn't have the mass to cast very far, but may be a lot of fun on little creeks, small ponds and little fish. A 4wt. is as low as i go and it doesn't cast as far as my 5 or 6. Different tools for different jobs...

mikechell

Reaction score
I agree that a 3 weight line will not travel as far as a 5 weight ... but I can cast mine almost as far. Sometimes, it's more about rod action than line weight. If your new 3 weight rod flexes differently (fast tip vs. slow tip information), then you just don't have the "feel" yet.

Good luck.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with what the others have said, I own a couple different 3 wt rods that are designated for small streams. I have no need for long casts, precision and delicacy are way more important, at least in my mind.

harryhh

Reaction score
Thank a lot folks.

I'm glad to hear that less distance on a 3wt is normal. Perhaps I can improve some though.

I was worried it might be my less expensive and not well known new rod. William Joseph. The rod seems to be very well made for the price.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank a lot folks.

I'm glad to hear that less distance on a 3wt is normal. Perhaps I can improve some though.

I was worried it might be my less expensive and not well known new rod. William Joseph. The rod seems to be very well made for the price.
Harry: I wouldn't worry one bit about that William Joseph rod. Put some time in with it to improve your accuracy and you will enjoy fishing with it on small streams.

pnc

Reaction score
Not sure about rod. As has been said you'll get better. You might give something you already have a try. Your WF 5w line. Different amounts outside of rod tip.
Can't say about your rod. Those using 3, 3/4, & 4w rods for freshwater in Florida. Are more & more using half of a DT 5. I do so myself since fellow club member clued me in. It works really good in tight spots. Yet will throw twice the line ever needed.
The rod I do this on is a glass 3/4. I think most doing this are using glass rods.

....... pc

dakotakid

Reaction score
Harry,

It's probably obvious, but it's easier to cast a bit larger fly with the 5 wt than with a 3 wt. If you are using the same small fly with each, then totally agree with the other responses.

c web

Reaction score
Most of my rods are 3 weights because I target smaller Appalachian streams. When I pick up my 5 wt I feel like I am fishing with a rocket launcher. :D

Also as someone else has said, the action of the different rods makes a big difference as well. If your 5 weight is a faster action than your 3 weight then the difference in casting distance will be even more drastic.

boisker

Reaction score
Well that depends...:D
You should be able to cast a 5w further than a 3w...
But casting your 3w only 75% of the distance you can cast a 5 w seems a rather drastic reduction...

I asked a question on the sexyloops site regarding the expectant ‘average’ increase in distance cast between increasing weights... the general consensus was 2-4’.... so that would mean you should cast your 5w less than 10’ further.....

harryhh

Reaction score
The temperature outside is back down in the 30's for a while again. When it gets a bit warmer outside I'll measure my casting distance with 3wt, 5wt, and 8wt.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't let distance worry you, traditionally a 3 weight rod has been more a technical tool for close and delicate presentation not for booming out 80 foot casts. Trying to make one (3 wt.) work like a 5 or 6 would be like trying to throw a Wiffle Ball as fast and far as a standard baseball, ain't gonna work out.

jayr

Reaction score
One other thing to remember is that not all lines work well on all rods even given the correct weight. This could or could not be the issue. Also, the line may be in need of replacement.

cb

Reaction score
Hi All,

Harry

Some great answers - I would add that your 5wt rod will cast your 3wt line considerably further too. Remember, every few feet (5ft?) beyond 30ft out of the rod tip adds an AFTM rating. (unless it is a short head weight forward <30ft which I never use :).

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi All,

Harry
The reason is that the 3 wt line has relatively more surface area per mass than the 5 wt line. This is true for all weights of fly line. As fly line weights go up relative surface area to mass goes down. Therefore relative aerodynamic drag (air resistance) goes down as line mass goes up and the higher weight fly line goes farther for the same fly line velocity.

The math is related to simple geometry. If you take the cross section of a fly line it will be a circle. The circumference of the circle represents the fly line surface and the area of the circle represents the fly line mass. If we double the circumference of the the circle, we quadruple the area of the circle. So we can raise the mass by 4 and only get a 2X increase in surface area drag.

This has several practical applications. When casting into the wind, put a higher weight of fly line on the rod. Even though the rod is OVER weighted, you will be able to cast FARTHER. Is seems counterintuitive that a heavier line will go father, but that is because the relative DECREASE in air resistance/mass more than makes up for the heavier line.

Another example is that a sinking line can be cast further than a floating line. They have equal mass BUT the sinking line is thinner so it has less aerodynamic drag so it goes farther. This example is easier to grasp; but the principle at at hand is the same one that allows heavier floating lines to go further than lighter floating line.

mikechell

Reaction score
The reason is that the 3 wt line has relatively more surface area per mass than the 5 wt line. This is true for all weights of fly line. As fly line weights go up relative surface area to mass goes down.
Silver ... except for the fact that you write responses that are paragraphs too long, I usually agree with your posts. But my three weight line is noticeably smaller diameter than any of my 5 weight lines but not noticeably lighter.
Doesn't that mean I've got less surface resistance to match the reduced mass?

redietz

Reaction score
Silver ... except for the fact that you write responses that are paragraphs too long, I usually agree with your posts. But my three weight line is noticeably smaller diameter than any of my 5 weight lines but not noticeably lighter.
Doesn't that mean I've got less surface resistance to match the reduced mass?
Maybe because they're different (brands of) lines? If you take a cylinder of a given length (and a line is just a long cylinder) it's surface area will increase linearly with the diameter, but the volume (and hence weight) increases with the square of the diameter. In other words, if line A is twice as thick as line B (assuming the same taper and material) it will have twice the surface area, but 4 times the mass.

jschaffer

Reaction score
Yes. It is normal to cast a 3 Wt less farther than a 5 WT line. It’s all a function of physics.... mass, gravity, momentum, etc.

I personally use my 3 WT on smaller streams primarily as there’s no need to bomb casts.

ft09
My distance (and accuracy) goes down with a 3 wt, but they are great for small waters.

redietz

Reaction score
Thank a lot folks.

What are the lengths of the two rods?