Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Beginner casting question

SFF meetings start at 7pm , some last till 9 pm. But not usually. Depends on agenda, speakers, other things.
    MCI's , CCI's are master & certified casting instructors. Casting before meetings from 6pm til 7pm. There are also scheduled casting clinics several times a month free to all members.
    If you check the Suncoast Fly Fishers web site. There are schedules under calendar agendas.

....... pc

As you probably figured by now, this was a loaded question. There will be at minimum, 10 suggestions for every casting situation. And there are a myriad of casting situations dependent on the water you're fishing.

When I'm on the water I like to watch people cast just to see what kind of technique/style they're using and how each one does it. You'll notice that no two are exactly alike in the same technique. Find one that fits your mechanics, is easy for you and works for you in a given situation.

As pnc mentioned, keeping your fly in the "strike zone" is important. Though, this "strike zone" has as many variations as there are rivers in the US. It can be anywhere from a 3 - 5 ft area to 40+ yards long and half the width of the river. Don't be overly concerned with the "keep your fly in the water" theory. Granted, you'll likely not catch any fish while your fly is "flying" through the air, but in reality it's only out of the water for 3 - 5 seconds tops with false casts. Sometimes it's just as quick or quicker to whip your line forward make 1 or 2 false casts than it is to work up in to one of the more complex casting techniques.

If you're making 10 - 20 or more false casts to get your fly back where you want it, or get it out to where you want it on your first cast on the water then you probably need to seek some professional help to figure out what you're doing wrong. Reading books and articles, and watching videos are all great, but nothing beats good ol' hands on teaching. My nephew recently just got in to fly fishing. Set him up with a nice, inexpensive, quality rig. Gave him several pointers and explained things to him as best I could over the phone (he lives in SC and I live in AL). He watched several videos on youtube, and read some articles. Practiced as often as he could in his yard and at a pond. Went fishing on a river close to his house a couple times and calls me frustrated. "Man, I don't know about this fly fishing thing." Scheduled a trip with him. Got him on the water and watched him. Big loops in his line and flies wadded up in a bird nest about every third cast. Stood behind him and took him by the wrist and made him let me cast with his hand so he could "feel" what I was trying to say. Took only two casts and he's like "Oh!!! Now I see!" He was off and running after that and never let up. Had a great day on the water and he landed several fish. One bow just over 20". He was pretty excited and his frustration was a distant memory.

So in short, try several different styles for as many situations as you think you'll encounter. Find one that works for you. Also, don't be afraid to make a "hybrid" out of a casting technique. Adjust any technique you learn to fit your body mechanics.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

3. Likes leftytyro liked this post
  4. Default Re: Beginner casting question

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    SFF meetings start at 7pm , some last till 9 pm. But not usually. Depends on agenda, speakers, other things.
    MCI's , CCI's are master & certified casting instructors. Casting before meetings from 6pm til 7pm. There are also scheduled casting clinics several times a month free to all members.
    If you check the Suncoast Fly Fishers web site. There are schedules under calendar agendas.

....... pc
    OP do your self a favour and go with this advice. Trying to advise someone to cast on internet forum doesn't work that well. Go find a pro instructor.

5. Likes bumble54 liked this post

Make sure that your line weight matches rods weight. Also, if you are using weight forward line, make sure that you did not spool it backwards (the reel side of a weight forward line is thinner than the "head"). Just from what you were saying, I wonder if your line is too light. Other than that, get an instructor or watch youtube. I watched youtube videos on my phone between attempts. Also find a space with 150ft of clearance, cut the barb off a fly that you see yourself using and practice as much as you can. It shouldn't take long for you to develop a serviceable cast. You don't have to be a master caster to catch fish. You do have to be able to make the appropriate cast for any given situation.

This is probably the most intimidating part of fly fishing, but worry not. The frustrations you face now will soon be replaced by others as you pass this obstacle and move on to the next. That is probably my favorite aspect of fly fishing: one will never know all there is to know about this "sport" (more like way of life)...Although there may be a few here that believe they do.

Here's how I often get line out of my rod tip after stripping almost all my line in on a retrieve. Wiggle your rod tip back and forth quickly a half dozen times with the tip of the line still in the water so the surface tension holds it, and letting the line slip through your fingers. If you do it quickly you'll probably have 10 to 20 feet of line outside your rod tip, you can do a quick roll cast to get the line straight out in front of you, and then you can do a quick overhead back cast using the surface tension of the water to put extra load on the rod. If I add a haul and shoot a little line I can easily cast over 50 feet with just that single backcast. No false casting required.
    Last edited by flav; 04-07-2018 at 03:21 PM.

8. Likes jkim liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Here's how I often get line out of my rod tip after stripping almost all my line in on a retrieve. Wiggle you're rod tip back and forth quickly a half dozen times letting the line slip through your fingers. If you do it quickly you'll probably have 10 to 20 feet of line outside your rod tip, you can do a quick roll cast to get the line straight out in front of you, and then you can do a quick overhead back cast using the surface tension of the water to put extra load on the rod. If I add a haul and shoot a little line I can easily cast over 50 feet with just that single backcast. No false casting required.
    So true. I usually turn the drag off when just trying to get the fly line our of the rod tip by wiggling it back and forth. After I have about 20' (depending on... ) of line from the rod tip I turn the drag knob clockwise again then I make an actual cast, either by a roll cast or by single or double hauling if more distance needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12