Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
  1. Default Inconsistent Casting - Generally cannot feel difference between good and bad cast

Through much practice, my roll cast has gotten acceptable. Today, I was on the South Holston and attempted some more traditional casting as I have never practiced traditional casting much on water since I generally prefer small mountain streams which call for roll casting or bow and arrow casting. Today, I would have three or four "acceptable" casts followed by three or four awful casts. However, the casts, for the most part, all felt the same. Sometimes I could identify what I had done wrong immediately, but generally, it all felt the same and I had no clue what the difference was in my cast as it all felt the same. How do I get better if I am unsure of what I am doing when making a good or bad cast since both feel the same? I am contemplating recording myself casting, but I feel like this may just lead to more confusion. Any thoughts on improving casting? Roll casting was easy to get a hang of, but traditional casting is proving difficult. I know learning to cast properly can take some time, but I am frustrated because I have good cast mixed with bad casts. I just wish I could feel a difference in my body between the two.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Inconsistent Casting - Generally cannot feel difference between good and bad cast

So, you say sometimes you can identify what went wrong: can you tell us what you thought went wrong and why?

I know a lot of people around here will tell you practicing on grass is a waste of time and you can get all the lessons you need from the trout, but I beg to differ. Go and practice on the lawn in the park, film yourself and see where your mistakes are. If you still can't see them (or you can't identify them) post the video somewhere where I can see it and I'll let you know what I see (and how to fix it.)

In the mean time, can you tell us what the line does on your bad casts? Are you getting knots or is the line failing to straighten? Is it always curving to your non-casting side? Are you ticking the water behind and/or in front? Some clues to the problem would help you get some answers.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)

3. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post

Default Re: Inconsistent Casting - Generally cannot feel difference between good and bad cast

I would say, EVERY TIME I make a bad cast ... it's because I did something wrong on the back casts.
    My most common problems, in order:
    1) Not enough force on the back cast to fully extend the line behind me. Gotta have that snap in the back cast to get the same power in the forward cast.
    2) Not waiting long enough to allow the line to pay out behind me. Starting the forward cast too soon means much of the forward rod movement is wasted just taking the loop out of the trailing line.
    3) Dropping your rod too much behind you, pulling the back cast down as well as back.

5. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, leftytyro, ia_trouter, spm liked this post

I'd have to agree with Mikechell, for me it's almost always something with the backcast. Usually, I get sloppy on the "speed up and STOP" part and have to remind myself to be a bit more cognizant of my actions.

I find slightly squeezing the handle at the end of a backcast helps greatly in eliminating slop. Grip gets lazy that way for me, but it's easily rectified.

If you record yourself, be mindful of the time and any changes to it. Sounds like you might be hurrying to the forward stroke before you should. With repetition, we sometimes inadvertently speed up when we shouldn't.

7. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Could you be creeping forward on your forward cast? Instead of accelerating smoothly you may be moving your hand forward to soon and then accelerating into the forward cast.

Bill

9. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post
  10. Default Re: Inconsistent Casting - Generally cannot feel difference between good and bad cast

I think one will know when you make a good cast and a bad one. I think you need to find someone professionally to teach you as well as reading, looking at good videos (as some are plainly poor) and practicing. Latter is very important but if you practice the wrong thing you will never get better. Undoubtedly getting a professional instruction is the key for most of us. You will then watch your loops and the end result of how the line lies at the end of the cast to analyse what you did wrong when you make a poor cast. I think from what you say you probably don't know what you have done to get your good cast or bad cast. Since getting qualified instructions I have found why these instructors are worth paying for.

11. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post
    Likes Hirdy liked this post

It could be you're trying too hard. I had a slight problem with that. Just relax, focus, and get a good controlled rhythm. The less effort the better. The rod and line will do all the work.

13. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post

Amen to what has been said so far.

It is also possible -- not knowing your rod/line combo -- that the rod is underlined. If so, line speed will be critical and your "feel" will be be marginal as an aide to casting.

Try up-lining by a size or two to get the feel back into the game.

Some other suggestions...

Watch your backcasst by actively turning your head to determine when they are about to straighten out.

Try a smooth line pickup with a slight wrist flick and sharp stop towards the end of your back cast rod travel.

Good luck,
    ddb

15. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post

I seem to cast better when I make a concerted effort to watch my line as it goes through the casting motion.

If I only look forward and try to cast by feel it usually doesn't go so good.
    -Rick Allen

17. Thanks catchthefish thanked for this post
  18. Default Re: Inconsistent Casting - Generally cannot feel difference between good and bad cast

Thanks all for the responses. I have been back on the water since and seem to have resolved the issue. I am by no means great at casting, but today went much better. I think I was holding the rod with too much of a death grip. Also my speed in the casting motion is inconsistent. Once I was cognizant of this, I feel I did better.