Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reach Cast

Default Re: Reach Cast

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Love Carl McNeil's stuff. Great caster and teacher via videos. Makes pretty good rods, too!!
    See this, Carl, making poetry:
    you tube Once in a blue moon-flyfishing - Bing video

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Blog Entries

I find that the place the reach cast is invaluable.....is when a fish is holding up tight against the bank, or other structure. In this situation you can't cast past him and pull the fly back into the seam...(A La the Hat Creek skate).....and if you mend after the cast it pulls the fly out of the seam.
    A good reach cast puts the fly in the seam without a mend...tight to the bank with a drift to spare.
    It is a cast more needed than almost all my other casts..........if you aim to fish well, learn it.
    With practice, you can add the reach to other casts...overhand casts, the rollcast, and a water load too......There are down-stream reaches as well as up-stream....high as well as low reaches....go play...

If you have pain while casting you probably need some coaching, it shouldn't hurt to go fish.
    Most guys raise their elbow and crank up the power......that is doing it the hard way.
    Elbow down and let the rod do the work.......have fun....

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    I find that the place the reach cast is invaluable.....is when a fish is holding up tight against the bank, or other structure. In this situation you can't cast past him and pull the fly back into the seam...(A La the Hat Creek skate).....and if you mend after the cast it pulls the fly out of the seam.
    A good reach cast puts the fly in the seam without a mend...tight to the bank with a drift to spare.
    It is a cast more needed than almost all my other casts..........if you aim to fish well, learn it.
    With practice, you can add the reach to other casts...overhand casts, the rollcast, and a water load too......There are down-stream reaches as well as up-stream....high as well as low reaches....go play...

If you have pain while casting you probably need some coaching, it shouldn't hurt to go fish.
    Most guys raise their elbow and crank up the power......that is doing it the hard way.
    Elbow down and let the rod do the work.......have fun....

Jim
    Good suggestion on raising my elbow; think I tend to do that trying to accentuate the upstream direction. I'll see if I can complete the cast without doing that as much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12