Question on drift

clayed21085

Reaction score
What's with the style of drift you see guys do where it's not quite a continuation of the stroke, but after the stop on the backcast the rod is actually lifted straight up then forward, the whole cast almost seems triangular in shape, what's the advantage of this style, positioning the rod higher after the stop it works but I don't really understand.

silver creek

Reaction score
What's with the style of drift you see guys do where it's not quite a continuation of the stroke, but after the stop on the backcast the rod is actually lifted straight up then forward, the whole cast almost seems triangular in shape, what's the advantage of this style, positioning the rod higher after the stop it works but I don't really understand.
I think there is something missing in your description. We need a video of what you are describing.

If you are really interested in learning more about fly casting, buy Jason Borger's Book, "Single Handed Fly Casting". It is the best casting book.

Sexyloops - Jason Borger's Single-Handed Fly Casting

You say this occurs after the backcast so the line is moving directly backward after the rod stop. Since drift is repositioning the rod tip in the direction of the cast after the rod stop, what you are describing cannot be drift. You describe a straight up motion with NO backward motion so there is NO repositioning of the rod in the backward direction of the cast.

You can drift the rod and back up if the backcast is a high backcast to make a low forward cast. In this case the drift in the direction of the cast would move/drift the rod both back and up in the direction of the cast after the stop. Note the up and back drift in the description below when the backcast is in an up and back direction.

I suspect this is what you are seeing.

Fly rod Drifting

"It is important that the rod tip tracks the fly line. In order for this to occur the drift is also an upward movement. Many casters do this better when the emphasis is on the 'up' and not on the 'back'. I'm one of those actually."

Fly Casting | Drift vs. Creep | Tips on Better Fly Casting

"To execute drift, after coming to an abrupt stop on the back cast, allow your rod hand to slide (or drift) back and up as the line proceeds to straighten behind you."

http://flyfishersinternational.org/...y Drift.Al Kyte.pdf?ver=2012-02-23-130104-957

Drift is composed of two possible motions - Translation and Rotation. We can move (translate) the rod to reposition the rod tip or we can rotate the rod to reposition the rod tip or we can do both.

Incidentally, these two same ways of repositioning the rod tip for drift is also the same way we move the rod tip when we cast. For a cast, we translate the rod early in the cast (Joan Wulff's loading move) and then rotate the rod late (Joan Wulff's power snap).

clayed21085

Reaction score
See paul's drift in the video of the provided link, the stop then up, then back forwards at the original angle the the forward stroke. Why not stop and continue at the original backcast path. Which was just under his ear I believe, instead it stops say just under his ear then comes up above his ear then forward.

silver creek

Reaction score
I see a stop, then he tilts the rod back (a backward drift) combined with the upward drift (see the illustration below from Al Kyte's FFF reference article), then the forward cast follows. You need to look for the backward drift caused by the rod tilt.

YouTube

You did not read the references I gave you from the Federation of fly fishers by Al Kyte on Drift. See the illustration from the publication below and you will see that the drawing on the right with the upward hand move and the backward rod tilt is what is being described for both Ed Jaworowski in the text and Paul in the video.

You did not see the rod tilt because you did not know to look for it.

"We only see what we know"--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe [1749-1832]."

http://flyfishersinternational.org/...y Drift.Al Kyte.pdf?ver=2012-02-23-130104-957

"Ed Jaworowski seems to assume so in his book The Cast,
claiming that he does not drift. Although Ed’s
hand doesn’t drift, his photographs show that
his rod does, by opening up an additional 10 to
15 degrees of rod angle after his stop. Jerry
Siem’s drift opens up as much as 40 degrees
of rod angle without any backward hand movement.
Apparently a rod may either be drifted
farther back or drifted into a different angle, and
moving your hand back is just one way to drift a
rod."

Last edited:

clayed21085

Reaction score
I appreciate you going out of your way to provide these resources for me, much appreciated.