Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Casting critique request

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer69 View Post
    Were are you? I’m a FFI casting instructor and I live in Redding Northern California, if you are nearby I can give you a ( free ) casting lesson. That’s good for anyone else as well. Just PM me with your email address
    Thanks
    Bazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Bazza: That is a very generous offer, if I was closer I'd take you up on it. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but when you said you live in Redding, CA I just have to ask how did you fare in that huge wildfire?
    Larry

Were are you? I’m a FFI casting instructor and I live in Redding Northern California, if you are nearby I can give you a ( free ) casting lesson. That’s good for anyone else as well. Just PM me with your email address
    Thanks
    Bazza
    I don't know if the location of the poster shows up in your browser page, but I can see that the OP's location is Golden, Co. I see location at the upper right of the post header with the join date and # of posts.

I notice that your location does not show. Did you fill your location in your personal page?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

3. Default Re: Casting critique request

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    I don't know if the location of the poster shows up in your browser page, but I can see that the OP's location is Golden, Co. I see location at the upper right of the post header with the join date and # of posts.

I notice that your location does not show. Did you fill your location in your personal page?
    Er, I thought my post says exactly where I am! But I’ll update my profile when possible. Casting critique request

Thanks
    Bazza

Thanks for the offer, but I’m in Colorado
    I did find a local FFI instructor though.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post

As once said by a wise man, "there's more than one way to skin a cat". There are more than one way to achieve the long speed stroke with body mechanics. If you're not achieving your goal in your cast you're doing the right thing in asking the question. Just don't get caught up in a cookie cutter fix. One size doesn't fit all. Try several different techniques and/or mix and match to come up with your own. When I was a kid I had two friends who played baseball. Though I never really cared to play the sport on a competitive level (stuck to other fast moving and more aggressive contact sports) I still went to the games to support our team. Both were pitchers. Both through the meanest curveball on the planet for a 17 year old. Both pitches looked exactly the same in flight. Only one difference. One kid through it overhand and the other threw it sidearm. Both achieved the same result.
    I get and agree with your point. I grew up playing baseball and taught golf for a few years (quite a while ago). The parallels in learning the golf swing and the fly cast are many but that’s a different thread.

With that said I wouldn’t call myself a beginner caster, but maybe I’m trying to take myself back to that point. I did well in the amateur division in the local Golden Games fly fishing competition (a very small local deal) this year, but will be obliged to compete in the “pro” division next year (mostly local guides)

I’d consider myself competent for the casting required to fish my beloved Colorado streams and Stillwater’s, but improving won’t hurt. With that said, after after watching some of the experts cast in competitions, I know I have work to do as I plan on competing in the Vail mountain games next year. So my real motivation at this point is to get to a level where I can “make the bridge” for anyone who’s familiar.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

This is what I see:
    1) your movement is very compact. A bit too compact as your elbow movement is very restricted. The final result is that you are making the ‘windshield’ movement.

2) your wrist is too firm. To make the final acceleration and to form a good (tight loop is not the holy grail here) loop.

My advise is:
    3) use a bit more shoulder rotation to support (as in loosen up) your elbow. Let your elbow go down to to your body.

4) let your wrist support the acceleration by opening up a bit more. Don’t over do it. Hold the wrist after the opening and follow through with your elbow.

Default Casting critique request

Update: been making a few adjustments. Forward cast loop is still not quite as tight as I’d like but I think the primary causes are (in these slomo videos at least)
    1) started the forward cast a bit soon
    2) activated the “active tilt” aka wrist flick on the forward cast a hair too late, and/or still have too much horizontal movement in the elbow/forearm on the forward cast. Brief experimenting after these videos (i.e. after the wife got bored) were taken seems to confirm my theory.

With that said, my accuracy in the 40-60’ range along with my overall distance has improved dramatically since the last local competition I usually do in May.

Also, today was the first test run with a new SA MED line and wow, what a difference! The Sage One Elite 5wt I’m using loved that line much more than the Rio Gold I was using before. Close in was about the same but anything over 30’ was much improved with this line.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure you know that I don't wade into these casting discussions often, there's just to many others who are way better than I am but...………….

I looked at the second video on the video website where I could get a full screen picture and I have a good monitor. What I see? You need a more crisp sweep into the back cast and a higher stop on the forward.

You are stopping at what I would call the 11 or 1 O' clock point on your back cast but allowing the rod to drift to horizontal on the forward cast.

For a tighter loop without using the free hand for line haul / speed, you need crisp strokes and stops because it is only the one arm and rod that are responsible for generating all the energy and line speed.

If you are going to allow either the fore or back cast to have rod drift you are better off on the back cast. You can get away with more on the back than on the forward cast. That forward cast needs a high abrupt stop to create the tight loop. Once the loop has formed and has unfurled toward the target you can allow some drift toward the horizontal if you wish to shoot additional line into the cast. That's another story though.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Thanks tx_newb thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12