Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Meltdown

1. Default Re: Total Meltdown

Yes, I’ve had them. Hurrying a drift to a feeding fish, trying to outcast my range, etc. My remedy? Walk to the bank, put down my rod, take a pull from my flask or a gulp of water and regroup. Watch the water or the sky-enjoy the environs for a minute or two. Hitting the reset button works when I make something that is (supposed to be) relaxing-a stressful thing ...give it a try

2. Likes karstopo, bumble54, brokeoff liked this post

Default Re: Total Meltdown

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one.

I have many things I'm going to practice on and off the water.

ifitswims, you have piqued my interest in sports psychology.

4. Likes ifitswims liked this post

I met and worked with this fine gentleman years back. Dr. James Loehr. It truly is amazing how much the mental game has to do with all of sports.

In the beginning I practiced casting on calm days. Then I moved onto windy days. Now I have incorporated casting on windy days and rotating 360 degrees (thanks bonefish41).

I have also tried to mimic fishing situations by practicing casting from zero to 60' (starting with the fly in hand). I added things like practicing various retrieves, the strip set, and clearing line.

Now I will add some of the visualization and breathing/meditation that they talk about in sports psychology. If you see a guy levitation in a field with a fly rod...that's me!

The lesson I learned, way too late, when things are going bad, STOP.

Once I realized that, my mistakes still happened....but the time it took to clean them up was by cut by 2/3.

Learning the concept of "cutting out the problem and tie new knots is a time saver" was much tougher - now that I feel like I am getting closer to a "system" that has "interchangable parts", I am more willing to take that approach.

Most instructors teach as if they were teaching to another instructor, rather than a student. If the student knew what the instructor meant as apposed to what they said, the student would be the instructor.

9. Likes karstopo liked this post

This is probably more superstition that science (and I'm a scientist by training), but whenever I start casting poorly, I change leaders. I figure that somewhere in the process of tying and retying flies and tippet, I've messed up the balance of the leader and want to push the reset button. Sometimes, I change alot of leaders. lol.

Kelly Galoup has a saying, "Stalk more, cast less." If the fish close to you are feeding and aren't disturbed by your presence, then why would they refuse your fly? What did you have to lose? (Speaking in general and not just this incidence.)
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

11. Likes bumble54 liked this post

Yes, I've had a meltdown.

No, I can't talk about it...it's too painful.
    -Rick Allen

13. Likes ejsell, brokeoff liked this post

I have had this happen in every sport I've been into that requires consistency: Bowling, pool, shooting. Bowling and pool, I spent a lot of time basically learning from scratch (pun not intended). Casting too, some days it all just goes to poo.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12