Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc Skagit line

Hi forum;
    What is the best setup with Skagit line for this rod: G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc
    I am going to Alaska aug 2019

Default Re: G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc Skagit line

Sigle hand rod unless I'm mistaken ? I think you want to look at the OPST Commando heads and tips. Get the 12' tips and some loop connectors from Ard here.....better yet , hire Ard in Alaska.

As Paul stated, it is a single-hand rod, for overhead casting - nice with a long belly Steelhead taper or shooting head. Having said that, if you want to cast it off the water (spey it), there are a bunch of choices. All are very short heads, whether head only or integrated.

- Wulff Ambush
    - Sci-Angler Skagit Lite
    - Airlfo Skagit Scout
    - OPST

The above offer options depending on desired fly depth. Ambush does well with regular l'leaders and poly leaders (you pick the density) as it is truncated (super compact) Scandi taper. The shorty Skagit heads do best with 8' tips. YMMV.

For a specific line/head combo, I recommend contacting Red Kulper or Tom Larimer at GLoomis.

Semi-helpful?

Craig

4. Default Re: G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc Skagit line

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    Sigle hand rod unless I'm mistaken ? I think you want to look at the OPST Commando heads and tips. Get the 12' tips and some loop connectors from Ard here.....better yet , hire Ard in Alaska.
    Thanks for your answer:
    Yes, a single hand rod.
    I have been looking at OPSTīs nice Youtube films and got inspired, but they look more like light trout like klasse, i am going for Silver/Chum. 300 grain are little light ? Rio Skagit Max short #8 is 575grain
    Ard, is that a supplier in Anchorage ?

5. Default Re: G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc Skagit line

Quote Originally Posted by e caster View Post
    As Paul stated, it is a single-hand rod, for overhead casting - nice with a long belly Steelhead taper or shooting head. Having said that, if you want to cast it off the water (spey it), there are a bunch of choices. All are very short heads, whether head only or integrated.

- Wulff Ambush
    - Sci-Angler Skagit Lite
    - Airlfo Skagit Scout
    - OPST

The above offer options depending on desired fly depth. Ambush does well with regular l'leaders and poly leaders (you pick the density) as it is truncated (super compact) Scandi taper. The shorty Skagit heads do best with 8' tips. YMMV.

For a specific line/head combo, I recommend contacting Red Kulper or Tom Larimer at GLoomis.

Semi-helpful?

Craig
    Craig, most helpful you are , i will study all your advise inkl. RK og TL at G.Loomis

The OPST were designed by guys in PNW to deal with the conditions the face for steelhead & salmon. I can't help with what would be best for Alaska but these are a very short head as Craig pointed out and will move a very large fly if that is the task at hand. Ard is one of the Admins here and a guide in Alaska, he would be best to advise on what your up against.

7. Default Re: G.Loomis NRX 10`#8 - 4pc Skagit line

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    The OPST were designed by guys in PNW to deal with the conditions the face for steelhead & salmon. I can't help with what would be best for Alaska but these are a very short head as Craig pointed out and will move a very large fly if that is the task at hand. Ard is one of the Admins here and a guide in Alaska, he would be best to advise on what your up against.
    Thank you, now i have plenty of information to work with, and yes, i am looking for a optimal line-set-up to move a lagre fly, but don't know the how deep yet.
    I am fishing at Clear Creek/Talkeetna in week 33/2019
    Lars B
    Norway
    Last edited by labro; 12-26-2018 at 05:52 AM.