trying to improve distance and form

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
here's a video of me in my front yard, trying to show you my form. i do just fine from 10 to 15, if i'm lucky 20 yards. go ahead and be as cruel with your comment, i want to perfect my form the best i can.

any tips on improving my cast distance too?

also anyone have anything about casting in wind? my part of texas, it doesn't get too cold, its just very windy!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltVLYLD8AJA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltVLYLD8AJA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

jclampwork88

Reaction score
Sorry that I won't be much help, because I mainly fish smaller rivers, but I can look around in the books I have to see if I have something that will help you.

John

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's no reason why you can't extend your arm behind you on your back cast,
The further the rod tip travels, the more speed you'll be able utilize, the further you will be able to cast

jdorsey61

Reaction score
I agree with Rip Tide - more arm, less wrist. Don't try to false cast too much line - use enough to load the rod, shoot the rest. I see you can single-haul... learn to double-haul - it'll help with distance and with wind. Good luck.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi MikeyBob365,

I watched you video several times. I see several things you need to improve. You would really benefit from a casting DVD.

1. You need to work on your line control. You have all that loose line flopping around on the ground and you will never be able to shoot line. You need to gather the loose line in coils and hold them in you left hand. The line should be coiled in order and held in place by your thumb. When you need more line you feed it from the coils.

2. You are using way too much wrist action. Your line is traveling in an arc over your head. You need to stiffen your wrist. A good DVD will show you this.

3. You are probably casting too vertical. Try angling your rod more to the side.

4. You are not accelerating and stopping as you should. There were a couple of times you did but mostly it seems like a constant pressure cast.

5. If you are getting out 20 yards that is 60 feet. You must be doing something right part of the time.

6. It seems that you are casting too fast for the line to unwind and load the rod. You need to practice making a good pickup of the line, a good back cast and then deliver the line on the grass in front of you. Watch you back cast.

When you make the next video try to include the fly line in the picture. I would bet you are not getting tight loops in your cast. These are some things for you to think about. You really need a DVD or some lessons. It will make a big difference in your results.

Frank

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I don't have much to add from what the others have suggested, other than to change your stance so that your left foot is forward and you can rotate your upper body with your cast.
To use another analogy here, when you make a layup when playing Basketball(if you right handed)your left foot will be forward when you make your shot.

Forget that analogy, I'm backwards......But I would change your stance so your turned a bit to your casting side.

jeffcertain

Reaction score
Your overall mechanics are good, especially letting line shoot through.

I concur with Frank. While wrist action is needed, yours is a little too floppy.

Again, echoing Frank and others, you have way too much slack line out.

A concept that really works for me is is to concentrate on accelerating through both the backstroke and forward stroke.

Now here's the zen of the whole thing: let your wrist snap forward at the end of the downstroke while letting the line run through your hands and subsequently the guides.

...This is impossible to describe in words.

...Just youtube it.

jeffcertain

Reaction score
ok..i looked again.

one more thing to think about.

let the rod load at the end of your backcast (the instant right before you start moving forward). In the video, you take all the energy out of the cast by letting your wrist flex backward with the rod.

Keep a firm wrist and let the rod bend a bit before the forward stroke.

have fun:)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
As far as Wind goes.....A few options to try would be to overload your rod by one line weight, a good W/F line like the RIO 'WindCutter', and a fast action rod that will really punch your line into the Wind when needed.

The Wind can be the 'Devil', but at certain times it can be very helpful. When ever you can, try use it to your advantage, Often times the chop on the water created by Wind will allow for much closer opportunities @ presentation and helps conceal any line slap that often occurs when fishing with Wind. The Wind also creates major insect drift & feeding by "stirring the pot" so to speak, so figure out where it is pushing and concentrating the food sources.

If...you have to fish into the Wind, or have a side Wind, you will most likely need to shorten your cast and use your Stalking Technique to get you within a workable casting range.

If...you have the Wind at your back you can make some very long distance cast by letting the Wind carry your offerings with it.

Depending on how heavy a Wind, you may need to shorten your leader to compensate. This is something that you will learn over time as to how long, and how heavy a leader.

I hope this helps. :)

Jackster

Reaction score
The two major problems that strike me from watching the video is the rod tip path and an improper pause.
The pause on your back cast is far shorter than that on your forward cast. If you took the suggestion of placing your right foot more to the rear it will make it much easier for you to watch your back cast, and there is no sin in watching it either!
Try to develop a straight line path by keeping the rod tip tracing a straight line. Use a roof top or telephone line in the background as a guide.
I think in the video I saw the line swoop past you in a big arc. The energy used in creating that arc is better spent going in the direction you wish the cast to go in.
Your rod tip path is more like a windshield wiper than a straight line.
Once you get good, basic fundamentals down, learn to double haul. The DH will take you much farther if you use it with a good, basic working knowledge of the foundations like proper power application and tip path.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I think a basic understanding of the physics behind flycasting is crucial.
The rod must be allowed to bend/load on the bac and forward casts. Any
arm/wrist/body motions that un-load the rod during its travel will kill the
energy stored within the rod: that energy is what propels the line in both
directions. Watching the line straighten on your backcast will improve your
timing, but be careful that your turning your body to watch the line doesn't
cause your arm to move in a way that un-loads the rod (my wife has to be
reminded of this regularly).

I've been recommeding that people watch this YouTube video: YouTube - Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1 Funny thing
is, it came up next to your video! Watch all 4 parts.

Red Owl

Reaction score
This may sound stupid but I suppose if you changed your grip (at least for practice) so the forefinger was pointed up, along side the handle, you may get a better feel on where the rod is on the back cast, as far as breaking the wrist.

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
thank you all for the tips, hints, and i'm gonna keep practicing and try to keep everything yall have told me in mind.

have a great new years all,
MikeyBob

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Video taping yourself is a good way to keep track of your progress, so keep practicing, apply some of the aforementioned tips, record some more footage in a few days, and bring it back here again. I would like to see your progress.

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
Video taping yourself is a good way to keep track of your progress, so keep practicing, apply some of the aforementioned tips, record some more footage in a few days, and bring it back here again. I would like to see your progress.
will do, this time i'll get it at an angle so you guys can see where the loops

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
i went out saturday to the guadalope river this weekend and i defiantly felt some improvement in my cast, my friend, the one who usually just fishes resorts and the coast, came along, and when i asked him to he helped me out with my cast he did so.

he told me about every four casts or so i want to let the line go cause otherwise it gets sloppy, is this true? i'm just curious

and a new vid will possibly come out this weekend, my pops might be takin me to philly to visit my grandma, and then drive over to NJ to watch our eagles wreck! :D

Joe D

Reaction score
Get a good video, Mel Kreiger's come to mind, or take lessons from a pro. Stop trying to fix what you are doing. It's time to start over.

Do not take any advise from someone who says to let the line go after four false casts. Two false casts are usually too many. Don't even worry about false casting. Learn the basic casting stroke and build off that.

WhiskeyHotel

Reaction score
Looking at the frequency of your cast I would almost certainly say that your line is not fully extended on your backcast before you begin your forward motion. If the line is not straight out, you are pulling against a loop and just pulling slack out of the loop. You will gain zero forward motion.

Turn sideways and begin casting. Watch your line over your right shoulder as it goes behind you on the backcast (look back, not forward), when the line is fully extended behind you, then begin your forward cast. Don't shoot any line, but do this motion over and over again to establish the timing needed for a good cast. Remember, watch the line go behind you until it is fully extended before you turn your head and cast forward. The best casters have an almost identical symmetry in their rod motion between back and forward casts.

Finally, for a tight loop to cast into the wind, your rod tip must move parallel to the surface of the water like it is sliding along a shelf. The more arc you put in the motion of your rod tip, the less distance you will have.

Good luck.:)

Armando

Reaction score
Hi

Not too much to add.
As it was commented before your body position is not comfortable, mantein your arms on your shoulder level but be free to extend them as much as you want.
I see your accelleration on the backcast is no too good, remember that to load the rod you must let the line to speed up and stop on the back cast to get a good defined forward cast, usually it wont take more than another back cast to shoot the rest of the line. If the accelleration is not good then you are going to try and compesate the slack by using your wrist or pointing the rod tip to ground which will also absorb energy, open your loop and make a mess as in your last cast.
Try to straighten the line before your backcast otherwise it would absorb the energy.
If you understand casting as a springboard youll see that loading it heavily will make you jump further, you usually jump no more than two times to achieve it, you always jump in a straight line before your head is postioned where you want to go and the higher you jump even more far you´ll get.
Maybe this will help you a lot more.