Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Hand position at end of backstroke and front stroke?

I taught skiing for years before I began teaching fly casting. Never got a Stenmark or Shiffrin there, either~ "Bend zee knees, pressure the tip!" Not doing a lot of hip angulation on day one~

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Never got a Stenmark or Shiffrin there, either~
    I my many years of teaching, I got two outstanding athletes in never ever lessons. One was a pro surfer and we went from having never standing on skis to skiing blue runs in two hours. The second was a professional ballerina, who progressed in a similar fashion. I told both that their skill level vastly outpaced their experience level and they needed to take it easy for the next few days of their careers.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

3. Likes osseous liked this post

I was a competitive skateboarder as a kid- and when snowboarding was in its infancy, I had to give it a go. I went to Stratton, VT. Had to get "certified" by a pro to ride the lifts in those days- and they paired me with Craig Kelly- one of the most famous guys at the time, on the Burton team. On the ride up he asked me how long I'd been riding? "First time!" He was Incredulous that I'd get on a blue run straight away. He gave me some tips and off we went. My skating and ski racing background made it pretty easy to adapt. I got my cert and headed off for a day of fun- going wayyy too fast. Broke my leg at 1pm! One and done with that sport.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes Lonnie Utah liked this post

Stop Motion of my friend Nelson Ishiyama using the Elbow Forward Cast

Nelson? I thought the image is of Ricardo N...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    She's a great caster but you can't believe everything written in the papers. That 189' (57.5m) was "Salmon Distance Cast", which is a two hander event. She finished second in the Sea Trout event with a distance of 47.5m and fifth in the trout distance event with 35m. All of which are fantastic results! Not everyone can cast 35m (114') with a 5wt line.

Just saying "Don't feel bad if you can't reach 189' with your trout gear ... "

Cheers,
    Graeme

(Full results tabulated here.)
    Hi Graeme, you are correct that the distance competition was with two handed rods and I thought about adding that fact but I think you missed the point. The assertion was made that she could only cast to targets in calm conditions not in "real world conditions", I believe she proved otherwise and she proved it using single handed casting and two-handed casting.

By the way I know from experience that the casting techniques she uses can even help an over-weight 59 year old, Chris Korich and others at the ponds have helped me be more accurate and have a better double haul even after fishing and fly casting for over 50 years. The techniques used are transferable even if you are not an elite competition caster.

Regards,

Tim C.

Quote Originally Posted by jasalvas View Post
    Stop Motion of my friend Nelson Ishiyama using the Elbow Forward Cast

Nelson? I thought the image is of Ricardo N...
    I think it is a young Nelson. Nelson was and still is my undergraduate fraternity brother from Stanford. Besides the undergraduate degree, he also has two advanced degrees from Stanford. He has a Stanford MBA and a Stanford Law Degree.

Nelson is the president of the Ishiyama Corporation, but his real love is fly fishing. Be built, owns, and manages the Henry's Fork Lodge which is where the image was posted.

Meet our Staff - Henrys Fork Lodge

Asian Pacific Fund | Nelson Ishiyama, Treasurer

In his "spare" time Nelson also edited Mel Krieger's book, "The Essence of Flycasting." Hence the elbow forward casting style that he suggest in his Henry's Fork Lodge Blog. The image above accompanied the casting instruction below:

Blog - Henrys Fork Lodge
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Thanks jasalvas thanked for this post
    Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Rick,

I just flew back from a trip to your area ( ISM Nascar & MLB Spring Training ) and I had all kinds of time to burn in the a.m.'s and p.m's. We could've knocked this one out with a couple of quick ( gratis ) casting lessons and saved all this debate....

Oh-Well.... Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Hi Graeme, you are correct that the distance competition was with two handed rods and I thought about adding that fact but I think you missed the point. The assertion was made that she could only cast to targets in calm conditions not in "real world conditions", I believe she proved otherwise and she proved it using single handed casting and two-handed casting.
    Hi Tim,

No, I fully accepted that point that she can cast well in the conditions presented and I agree with it.

I was clarifying the other points you made, that's all. If she had cast 189' in the Trout Distance Event, she would have easily beaten all other competitors, male or female.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

12. Likes karlsson liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by boisker View Post
    I bet that little Girl would kick your ass wherever you preferred
    Well that's presumptive on your part as you don't know me at all.I wouldn't put money on it,and I can't cast as well as a mentor of mine who's not only an elegant caster but an even better fisherman.Of course those two things can be mutually exclusive.

Wow, you had quite the weekend.

Thanks for the offer, it would've been fun...maybe next time.

Right now I'm grappling with the two conflicting casting styles...Left Kreh verse hinging more or less from the elbow...and trying to decide which one I want to concentrate on.

I'm pretty mediocre at both of the styles.

It doesn't help that there are pretty convincing arguments in favor of both styles in this very thread.
    -Rick Allen

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast