Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  81
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Improving Dry Fly Presentation

You mentioned not going over 20" on a 3wt. Although I have landed a little bigger fish on one, I have learned the hard way to fish a heavier rod for fish bigger than that. Not trying to start anything, but in bigger weights and bigger water I want the tool for the job.
    A few weeks ago I had a standoff with a brownie....he wouldn't move, and I couldn't follow.......I'm not one of those guys who likes to feel the tug.....I want to be able to TELL them what to do,and not ask them to cooperate.
    Nice Brown by the way......I am not into smaller waters much anymore, but with fish like that.... the stretch with the cliff looks good!
    Looks like a reach cast/rebound combination will give you the drift. A 10-11ft rod might be the deal. One last thing......I notice that most dry fly guys make their cast and drop their rod tip after the cast. The classically taught stop and drop....if you drop your tip, you lay line down on the water that will of course require a mend. I do my reach cast and end with my rod tip as high as I can reach. Then, I don't need to mend maybe at all....... This has improved my stats as much as anything I've done. After a year with me, a protege finally saw what I was doing, and now he does it too. He thought I just had a funny cast since he had never seen anyone do that cast before.
    Now he has the funny too...........I think of it as the Tinkerbell finish.
    The more line you lay on the water, the harder it is to get a perfect drift. So I say, don't lay it down to start with.

Jim

2. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Thanks Bigfly, good info there. Um yeah I don’t persue 20” browns with a 3wt but it can happen on the headwaters. If I’m fishing lower river where the largest fish swim it’s 5wt on up.

Funny thing about that is the hook straightened, the gear worked just fine. Maybe I’ll get another shot someday.

I just don’t like aggressive WF lines unless it’s swinging flies. I’m looking into that triangle taper although I really like the new airflow a lot.

I’m going to try what you suggested and see if it works for me.

Gotta run

Blog Entries

We have been searching for the good hook. Seems Gamagatsu keeled canon ball jig hooks 2/0 works on fatties. It's a no brainer.....
    At high flows...

Jim

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567