Upstream Under Branches

brokeoff

Reaction score
What is the best way to cast upstream under trees?

I’ll be fishing a medium sized river with trees overhanging from my left. I’ll be able to make side arm casts towards the center of the river on my right.

Shots are 20-30’

So my approach is a side arm cast with a short stroke and then a aerial mend towards the bank in order to get the fly, leader, and line drifting directly back to me.

I’ll go try and find a photo of this setup now.

Thanks.

reels

Reaction score
Maybe bow and arrow cast:
How to Fly Fish: The Bow & Arrow Cast - Orvis News

Or if euro nymphing there's a "side arm" cast that could work... There's probably some name for this, but not sure.

Or if using a floating indicator you could let your line water load in the current behind you, and then side arm it up and low ahead (so you don't have to false cast).

dr d

Reaction score
perhaps devin olsen:helicopter cast?

cheers

thomas

dillon

Reaction score
I'd position myself above the branches and float the fly downstream under them while feeding line to extend the drift.

From the downstream position, if one was able to land the fly under the branches, then the problem of achieving a drag free float arises...

osseous

Reaction score
"The fly goes in the direction the tip was moving when you stopped the rod" Lefty Kreh

If you stop with that tip traveling in a straight line toward your target, it doesn't matter if there are branches, or anything else above that path. You'll get the fly where it needs to go. It is important that you were accelerating at the time you made the stop. Never coast, or slow down during the stroke. This will give you directional control, and the fly will not waver from its path.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't particularly like doing this, but there's a few places that I fish where you don't have much choice.

You make a lazy cast down-stream with your wet fly, 'bugger, streamer.. whatever sort of swimming fly you might choose,,,somewhat short of your suspected lie.
Stick your rod tip under water and draw your line over into the current seam that you're trying to fish and let your fly slip.
Only a couple inches at a time
Swing it out a little. Swing it back in. Slip a couple of more inches.
Expect a strike. Like every time.
It's kinda difficult to get a hook-up this way (use a slip strike) but it's more effective than you might think.

Just don't let anybody see you do this. It's not exactly "high church". ;)

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
Skip cast....

If done correctly, you can skip the fly off the surface of the water like a stone...

silver creek

Reaction score
What is the best way to cast upstream under trees?

I’ll be fishing a medium sized river with trees overhanging from my left. I’ll be able to make side arm casts towards the center of the river on my right.

Shots are 20-30’

So my approach is a side arm cast with a short stroke and then a aerial mend towards the bank in order to get the fly, leader, and line drifting directly back to me.

I’ll go try and find a photo of this setup now.

View attachment 16254
You have already gotten some good recommendations. I will not bother going over those.

Usually, the water closest to the bank is flowing the slowest. Therefore, with a sidearm cast casting up and across from below or directly across from the middle; you want an OVERPOWERED cast so the cast hooks to the LEFT downstream. The places the fly down stream of the tippet and the tippet has an ustream curve so you will get a longer drag free drift. Since the fly is DOWNSTREAM of the leader, the fly enters the window first. So an overpowered sidearm cast is one of the best casts to use/

I suspect you are a left handed caster since the left bank is the easiest side to cast to for a right hander.

So the question become how does an angle make a overpowered sidearm cast to his off side? Well one way is to cast with the opposite hand. I suspect that if you were able to do this, you would not have asked the question.

My suggestion is to make your usual sidearm cast to the left and this will be the "backcast". For this cast, your palm will be up. At the stop for this cast, immediately turn your hand PALM DOWN. Then make the delivery cast with your palm down. With the palm down, your casting motion of your forearm will be just like your normal forward cast in that you will be OPENING your elbow rather than CLOSING your elbow as you would normally do with a back cast.

You will be making both your forward and backward delivery casts using a forward casting motion. This will allow you to be more accurate AND will enable you to overpower the delivery cast so you get the sidearm curve. Basically you will be doing a sidearm version of the Galway cast.

Galway Cast – Fly Casting Video Masterclass

Sexyloops Fly Casting Masterclass 22 - Galway Cast on Vimeo

brokeoff

Reaction score
Silver, I am a right handed caster. In the photo we are walking upstream. We will stand directly behind the fish about 25’. We use dry flies and the leaders are fairly long. I have in fact made this cast correctly once and it was pure luck. The rest of the day was all fails. That’s when I was first starting out so it’s okay.

Now I’m going back and am practicing the specific shot. I’m doing much better now that I switched rods to a medium action. The longer casting stroke afforded by the increased flex means I can end my cast with the rod tip pointing closer to the fish than the center of the river.

Still needs work but it seems doable after the rod change.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ive been fishing the shady woods sections of the river in the canopy and what ive had to do lately is lean sideways to my casting side and cast with the rod parallel to the river a foot or so above and cast the line under to the bank.

Getting the lift on the backcast takes a little practice sideways, but it is worth the effort, hooked up on a number of nice browns resting in the shade.

The harder the cast the bigger the fish, and the more enjoyment when you hook up.

Many times in with low hanging tree branches and thick its the only way for me. Sometimes in some areas its all trick casting, cack handed weak side, parallel side cast with a curve. Fishing is unconventional casting.