Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So I was practicing my casting today when this happened....

Quote Originally Posted by flafly14 View Post
    I'm curious what happens to your loops when you push that far without a haul. When I try to carry a lot of line without a haul, my loops tend to open up a bit.
    Pretty much have to let your loops open up a bit to cast farther than about 40 feet without a haul. At the end of the day it's just easier to haul when casting farther than 40 feet. For myself, between 40 and 60 feet I'll usually single haul unless we're talking about wind above 7-10 mph. Then it's just easier to double haul.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flafly14 View Post
    I'm curious what happens to your loops when you push that far without a haul. When I try to carry a lot of line without a haul, my loops tend to open up a bit.
    Learning to carry more line without a haul can be a useful way to improve your full distance cast. You really need to concentrate on getting maximum translation before rotation to make it work. I regularly push my casting limits in this way, since the normal distance cast is much easier if the rod hand is working at maximum efficiency.

Last year, it paid off at our club casting day when they decided to run a "novelty casting event". Furthest cast without a haul. I cleaned up with a measured distance of 90' using a DT line. Next closest was 58'. (To be fair, none of the other guys ever practice casting without a haul, which is why it was chosen as a novelty event.)

Cheers,
    Graeme
    FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    And you don't need any more. Casting and catching fish are two different things.
    I disagree Dillon. If you're a SW fly fisherman or someone who regularly fishes lakes, you won't be catching fish on a windy day if you can't cast 100' on a calm day. You'll be back at camp drinking a beer, which is arguably a better idea anyway ...

And yes, I fish a 4wt outfit in the salt regularly.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    Learning to carry more line without a haul can be a useful way to improve your full distance cast. You really need to concentrate on getting maximum translation before rotation to make it work. I regularly push my casting limits in this way, since the normal distance cast is much easier if the rod hand is working at maximum efficiency.
    Well, that is good to hear because it echoes what an instructor told me in a lesson I took the other day. I found that my two biggest problems in my casting are:
    1. When I don't haul, my stroke is all rotation and no translation. Lots of times I think this results in having to use a little too much power and that power is lots of times less than totally smooth. So if I can learn to throw in a bit of translation I think that might help get rid of a little more slack which should mean that I can get by with less power?? That makes sense to me. Needs to be an earlier, positive stop > some drift rearward, pause, translation to get rid of slack, then forward flick.

2. When hauling, I do good translation but my backcast hauls tend to be short and abrupt. So sometimes I get tails on my backcast. I think that should be an easy fix with a little practice.

I'm going to give good work on problem #1 by doing the translation you recommend and see what I can do.

Blog Entries

Nice to hear Flafly. Translation is just the early phase of power though, not a replacement or substitute for power.

To get that haul on the back cast working properly, start the haul later (so it finishes later too). The tail is forming when the haul finishes too early, letting the rod straighten prematurely. Start to later and you'll finish later ...

Cheers,
    Graeme

Blog Entries

I'm pleased to hear somebody is practicing......
    I mostly see people who wait till they are on the water to practice. Which doesn't improve their chances...
    The thing I teach that helps folks extend their range, is to get rid of the pesky dry fly hand (or haul hand).
    I've noticed that if I have them lock-off the line on the corks, they learn to store more energy in the rod.
    Once they can store the power instead of trying harder to haul....THEN I have them include a haul.
    I have learned to cast nearly a whole fly line without a haul. Just lock off the line, power into the backcast, and just take your finger off the cork and shoot line till the till it hits the backing. A nice crisp stop behind and in front is required.
    Don't drop your rod tip, and DO NOT extend your arm. Pretend you are pounding a 16p nail. Drop your elbow hard to your side with a little forearm and just a skosh of wrist.
    Casting beyond 60 ft easily, is a function of energy stored in the beginning of a cast, not energy applied later in the cast.
    If you don't learn how to store power first, you have to haul more...........
    A lot of folks haul like a big dog but still can't boost the cast. beyond that 60 ft range. I work at that range constantly without a haul at all....and zero false casting too....

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

7. Likes Hirdy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    I disagree Dillon. If you're a SW fly fisherman or someone who regularly fishes lakes, you won't be catching fish on a windy day if you can't cast 100' on a calm day. You'll be back at camp drinking a beer, which is arguably a better idea anyway ...

And yes, I fish a 4wt outfit in the salt regularly.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Okay, well today I took a new rod to the Westmorland casting pond in my home town Portland, Oregon. After casting, I'm kneeling on the lawn putting the rod back in its tube. When I hear a voice say, "Did you catch anything?" I look up and a man and a little boy are walking toward me. He has a fly rod in his hand and the boy is wearing a Golden State Warriors outfit and is carry a basketball. When I saw the rod I laughed and he chuckled and started up a conversation. So, after I while I learn he is a casting coach, Chris Korich, and his star protege' is none other than Maxine McCormick, his niece. He is in town for several days, and today he is working with Maxine's little brother. The rod he is using is a 7ft. 5 wt. TFO Bug Launcher with a little Orvixs reel. I cast it for a couple minutes and it's a fun little rod. Chris said, it's what he generally uses to teach fly casting. His nephew caught a big Deschutes Redside with it during the recent Salmon Fly hatch. Chris is quite the talker and opined about his fishing adventures. Turns out this hall of fame member is a darn good fisherman too...

9. Likes sweetandsalt, flafly14 liked this post

Did you invite this famous Mr. Korich to analyze your stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Did you invite this famous Mr. Korich to analyze your stroke?
    No, he didn't say anything when I cast his little rod. A local news channel is filming Maxine at the casting pond Saturday. He invited me and we exchanged contact info. I hope to work with him a bit in the future.

Blog Entries

I hope you get the chance to talk more with Chris. You had a brush with casting royalty there.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast