Line stick on blank

clayed21085

Reaction score
This is something I can't find much information on, and that's line stick on the blank when line is actually wet which impairs hauling (on the back return) you can eliminate the problem by turning the reel/rod out 90 degrees but then you're going against the spine which can lead to other problems, I currently turn my wrist out on the backcast and return to straight on the forward cast to remedy the problem, how is it that some casters can keep the reel straight ahead throughout the entire cast with wet line and no stick? Heavier line weight overcoming the friction on the blank? Guide spacing? I fish primary 5 weight. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

clayed21085

Reaction score
Like too add I have cleaned my line and blank without and real significant difference, I can really only overcome the friction while keeping my reel/thumb straight ahead by getting enough line out to pull it free from the blank.

bumble54

Reaction score
Can't say it's ever happened to me in over 50 years of fly fishing, at least not that I've noticed. I clean polish my rods with furniture polish regularly and clean and treat my lines after use, if that helps or makes a difference.

I will hold my breath now and wait for someone to inform me it's the worst thing you can do.:lol2:

clayed21085

Reaction score
I clean but never treat my fly lines I occasionally wipe down the blank, I've read that's more than adequate to keep things smooth, I think alot of casters have some deviation of the reel on the backcast if they realize it or not, which reduces friction on the blank ( they turn it slightly to the right as it comes past their head) they're still tracking straight just the rod is rotated slightly to allow the line to really only come into contact with guides.

DonW

Reaction score
Not enough guides on your rod? No idea but that is the only thing I can think of as being cause for such an issue, I am far from any kind of expert and never experienced what you describe. What kind of rod, length, how many guides?

clayed21085

Reaction score
A Redington path 9' 5, the line spooled is rio avid trout.
This is only an issue with the back haul and for me it's regardless of set-up ( so far) next time I'm out on the water and have some time to cast a I'll pay a little more attention to my rod positioning on the backcast there's a possibility that there's a few kinks that need to be worked out, if there's other fisherman able to haul smoothly without altering the reel/hand position I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Hirdy

Reaction score
This is a known problem for some casters with some rods. I suffer from this often with commercial builds.

It mainly happens when the line is trapped in the "V" made by the junction of the wire snake guide and the blank.

Firstly, there are no problems associated with casting against the spine orientation. Most commercial rods aren't built with the spine in mind anyway, so carry on with any method that works for you. (Test your own rods for the spine orientation to see how yours measures up on this criterion. $10 says the guides are not on the spine ... ;) )

One of the easiest solutions is to simply have your sections twisted away from "normal" alignment. It's only aesthetics that makes people line their guides up with their reels. There's no technical reason to do so.

I haven't tried it, but I think one way to alleviate it could be to add an extra coat of epoxy on the lower binding of each wire guide to fill in the V a bit.

My own solution is a bit more extreme: build my own rods using guides with ceramic inserts throughout. Works great and I firmly believe these guides are better than wire guides for a bunch of reasons beyond "line stick".

I'd advise the easiest solution is just twist the sections a bit.

Cheers,
Graeme

Reaction score
Check the guides for any damage. Get SA AMPLITUDE SMOOTH TROUT TAPER , up line to 6wt or even 7wt and hang on if you can man....! The hype is real.It is the slickest, best casting fly line ever made in the history of fly fishing.Are you forming good loops...

clayed21085

Reaction score
I had another person suggest turning upper portions of the rod 45 degrees out to alleviate the problem as well. Would the angle change of the portions inbetween the stripper guides and the first snake guides cause a little friction in itself? How would you know if you're casting against the spine and how to test where the spine is?

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
You're over thinking the whole spine thing . I have built rods on it , off it and never looked at it and they all turned out fine . The reason the other guys have no problem is because they don't buy in to it either . Cast it like you mean it , wont hurt a thing .

Hirdy

Reaction score
Would the angle change of the portions inbetween the stripper guides and the first snake guides cause a little friction in itself?
No.

How would you know if you're casting against the spine and how to test where the spine is?
You won't know when you're casting the rod. I've never seen any person who could pick up a "non-spined" rod and notice it in a blind test. (Probably because finding a factory rod that is built on the spine is rare .... :) )

Here's how you find it:

YouTube

Just do it on the top three sections. You will be hard pressed to find it on the butt section for many rods unless they are quite bendy in that section.

Cheers,
Graeme

fishing hobo

Reaction score
I had this issue when lengthening a short line (20ft). My friend, an instructor, said just turn the rod so guides face inwards. Sorted! I do this especially when casting off shoulder now.

wjc

Reaction score
"which impairs hauling (on the back return)…."
I assume you are talking about hauling on the forward cast, since the line is nowhere near the blank on a back cast unless the rod is being cast with the reel facing up toward the sky.

If you are having that trouble on the backcast haul, the only way I can see that happening is if the guides are deeply grooved from the line.

The forward cast is a different story altogether and worsens with the amount of line out and particularly with the speed of the haul and higher temperatures. I had that problem for decades fishing the salt casting long distances.

The line would literally stop dead and I worried about breaking the rod, ripping off guides or spraining my line hand wrist. I even tried a saturation spray of CRC Heavy Duty silicone spray. Don't try that. It is very hard to get off once it turns to gum.

Paul Arden told me how to fix it. Turn the guides out 45 degrees - not in towards the body. I have fished that way now for probably 10 years and never had the problem again. All my big rods are 2 piece, and turning just the top section out works fine. The two guides on the lower section and the first on the upper section are ceramic ring guides on those rods.

On a long forward cast with a strong double haul the tip top will have done an about face and will have twisted around 180 degrees at the maximum rod bend. Grab the tip top of the top two sections of your rod between thumb and forefinger and give the bottom a twist. See how easy it is to twist it around backwards?