Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

1. Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

If I have students that tend to break their wrist, I teach them point finger on top. You can't break your wrist.
    Students that don't break their wrist I show them the key in the ignition hold.
    To power, I put thumb on top....Joan Wulff got me into that habit (her Winston has the bent)

Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

I do the thumb on top for power, index finger for accuracy. ...Just point your finger where you want the fly to go

The problem with my grip is that I sometimes squeeze too tight. One of my 8wts is on it's 3rd cork and right now the one on my 10wt is held together with epoxy and medical tape. I have to make a conscious effort to relax my grip. Not always easy when you have other things on your mind.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    The problem with my grip is that I sometimes squeeze too tight. One of my 8wts is on it's 3rd cork and right now the one on my 10wt is held together with epoxy and medical tape. I have to make a conscious effort to relax my grip.
    I have a few lumps of coal. Can I send them to you for you to do that Superman trick of squezing them until they turn to diamonds?
    It is true... It's science!
    Answers.com - How strong is Superman

50/50 split sound fair?

Hi Guys and Joni,
    The point behind starting this thread the insistence some authors have about the thumb being on top. It would seem that the members here don't have such a dogmatic view, and are much more flexible in their methods. I'm not kidding when I say that I simply couldn't cast more than 15 feet if I held a rod with my thumb on top. Exaggerating maybe, but not kidding....

5. Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

When it come's to rod grip I don't think it matters much as long as you are comfy with it. Grip can be classed as Style, and not substance in casting.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian_mcg View Post
    When it come's to rod grip I don't think it matters much as long as you are comfy with it. Grip can be classed as Style, and not substance in casting.

Brian
    As a fellow instructor, does this question not come up when you're teaching?

7. Default Re: Rod Grip: Thumb or Index Finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    As a fellow instructor, does this question not come up when you're teaching?
    Yes it Does. In fact we were discussing this on the uk Forum the other night.
    The question would be . Explain what the difference is between style and substance.

Brian
    IFFF MCI
APGAI SINGLE HANDED INSTRUCTOR

With two different casting classes I've had taught with the thumb up on the cork and the elbow close to the body. For me that was more natural to grip the rod this way. I've tried casting with the finger on the cork, but found that i had to turn my wrist counter clockwise which is uncomfortable for me. My hand would want to change to the V grip. Then I would loose control and timing. With the V grip, my wrist would break and my stop points became inconsistant.

Though i have not put any thought into it...im a thumb on top caster. Odd i suppose as im self taught...well as much as anyone can be self taught in the last decade with youtube and whatnot
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Try slightly bending your thumb. You might also want to try a V-grip - putting your thumb and index finger on the sides of the handle.
    I'm a V grip guy also.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast