Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Changing casting direction from downstream to upstream

The snake roll

2. Likes fishing hobo liked this post

Lefty told me: Where ever the rod points last, is where the cast will go. So, false cast where you can, turn the rod and shoot the cast where you want it to go.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by gl419 View Post
    While fishing on moving streams, especially riffles, I am having problems casting back upstream after a drift downstream to get to another drift. What is the most efficient method to change direction? My cast turns into a total mess until I re-establish a straight cast upstream. Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    I don't know how proficient you are at casting/roll casting, but this is the most efficient way I know of for going from the dangle to a new cast across the river or stream.

The two tricks here are, don't let the line completely aerialize during the 'flop' (first part where you draw your rod tip up and over), and to exaggerate your mechanics for the D-loop sweep. In other words, pace is the key.

The obvious advantages of this type of cast (there are dozens of single-hand spey casts) are that you don't have to do any false casts at all, you can actually aim your cast at very specific targets, you don't have to strip in nearly as much line before a cast, your fly spends more time actually fishing, and you don't work as hard for the same results.

Hope that helps.
    This an excellent method of changing the direction of the cast by 90 degrees from downstream to across stream.

If you are fishing a dry fly rather than a heavy nymphing rig, I suggest a second method of going from a direct downstream pickup cast to an upstream cast. I suggest you experiment with a roll cast pick up. Your line and leader are downstream. Perform a roll cast pickup. This will aerialize the fly line and direct the cast back downstream. Immediately turn the rod 180 degrees which converts that downstream roll cast pickup into a backcast. Then make a forward cast back upstream.

You can face across stream when you do this this to make the downstream roll cast a cross body roll cast, and then the upstream cast a cross body forward cast. Or do the water tension cast as was mentioned earlier. There are several methods of casting directly upstream when the fly line is downstream.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    This an excellent method of changing the direction of the cast by 90 degrees from downstream to across stream.

If you are fishing a dry fly rather than a heavy nymphing rig, I suggest a second method of going from a direct downstream pickup cast to an upstream cast. I suggest you experiment with a roll cast pick up. Your line and leader are downstream. Perform a roll cast pickup. This will aerialize the fly line and direct the cast back downstream. Immediately turn the rod 180 degrees which converts that downstream roll cast pickup into a backcast. Then make a forward cast back upstream.

You can face across stream when you do this this to make the downstream roll cast a cross body roll cast, and then the upstream cast a cross body forward cast. Or do the water tension cast as was mentioned earlier. There are several methods of casting directly upstream when the fly line is downstream.

Peter is one of the best video instructors you will ever find.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

6. Default Re: Changing casting direction from downstream to upstream

Roll cast pickup or snake roll if you can execute it. Former easier.

Can you just shoot it upstream as itís tight with the current?
    Capt Mike
    Angler Management Sport Fishing
    42í Express Sportfish - 24 Carolina Skiff

My Quiver:
    Asquith 9 & 11
    Sage Accel 8
    Loomis GL3 8/9 and 10/11

Abel SS Custom Shop Reels
    Amplitude Tropical Titan Lines

Double spey or snap-T casts. Use a double if the wind is blowing downstream and the snap if it's blowing upstream. Or if you're not a great roll caster and want to cast overhead do the first snap-T move to get your line ustream of you, let the line just touch down, and go into a water loaded overhead cast. Only one backcast required with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    The snake roll
    ^^This. Just try it, it's super easy. I started doing it before I even know what it was, I just know it worked!
    Danny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12