Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Practice / indoor casting - line wear and tear?

It does damage your fly line. It's been discussed several times on here. This is one of them.

Casting on the Lawn

Many argue either way...I will say this......use a cheap line and it's not a big deal.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes trev, iv_wjb liked this post

I remember reading that thread, thanks. I suppose that’s what had me rethinking this, and the reason for my question.

Consensus is, the fly-line does get damaged. So, does one simply sacrifice a $100 fly-line & keep practicing with the line intended for the rod or, does one buy a cheaper line to practice with?

Seems to me, a cheaper line may not perform as well and, therefore, make practice more of a labour than enjoyable means to improvement.

Perhaps, I should take Ard’s advice and simply practice on the water for a year or two

I do have the “practicaster” to use indoors... I’ll stick to that, I guess.
    Wallace

iv....I'm not the best guy to ask about practice casting because the last time I did it was 30 years ago when I first picked up a fly rod. I might have done it a couple hours out in the yard...but that's about the extent of my practice casting that way. So I'm a fair hack fly caster.

Like Ard.....I feel it's best to practice the total package on the water where you're reading water, tying knots, studying the birds, shaking bushes, looking for bug activity, mending, reach casts, double hauls, etc...standing in the water with the current, wind and other variables at play. I have many hours on the water since those early days and do practice a new cast I see or an aerial mend or whatnot while fishing. You always want to try something different and learn something every time you're on the water.

You can be a decent fly fisher and be an average caster. Now to get better at casting...you need to practice. I won't argue that point with anyone. There are rivers and species where casting accuracy (beyond competition) are imperitive. It's just boring to me and I don't get to put long casts into use much where I live. Over water where you know distance and maybe a few targets here and there......I see that as your best bet.

As far as the line. No....you don;t need to use a $100 fly line to practice with on the grass or driveway. You want one with similar WT and taper than what you use. Maybe it's a seconds, maybe it's from the bargain bucket at your local fly shop....but I wouldn't practice on the grass with a good quality line. Micro abrasion and dirt can damage the coating and your wear the eyelets on your rod. Primarily the tip-top.. If you do it for 15 minutes and wipe your line down afterwards....then maybe you're ok. But if you're going to practice hours and hours on the grass get a backup lesser expensive line. You don't want a cheap level taper one you got for $5 on ebay. That's not going to help you get any better at all.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do. Your rod, your water, your rules.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

5. Default Re: Practice / indoor casting - line wear and tear?

Ard is right that the best practice you can get is in the environment you expect to apply those learned skills in. But ... if you are like me, and only get to spend 10 to 15 days per year on the flats .. you probably don’t want to spend the, practicing .. you want to fish. And when you show up to fish, you want to be able to drop a fly on the fish’s dinner plate at 60 feet if necessary. To be prepared, I think it’s important to practice. Even if it’s just to improve the timing of your double-haul, to get li e out quicker, or to cast accurately even if’s calm where you are. Practice makes you a better performer, even if that practice is not in the same environment you perform in. So, yes, practice indoors. Practice on the lawn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12