Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what to use when guides ice up

I recently found out about using chapstick on the guides but have not tried it yet. So, just rub it on front and back of the guides ok? Any other products, I appreciate the tips. Thanks a lot.

Default Re: what to use when guides ice up

When I used to fish winters in New England and the guides iced up, I very simplely held the rod so that the guides were under water except when casting, this was very effective when fishing subsurface flies. Water will always be above freezing. Cheap too and easy.

3. Likes el jefe liked this post

ya know I had thought about that. Thanks. I may have tried that at some point earlier in life but forgot. I really did think of that, but didn't try it because it took me an hour to retie so I quit.

Loon makes "Ice Off Paste". Applied liberally to your guides, you can get 6-8 casts between breaks to clear ice, rather than the 3 or 4 casts you get with an untreated rod.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Any thing you can coat the guides with that repels water will work until the line rubs it off enough that water can touch the metal and freeze, yes the chap stick or Albolene or Gink or Mucilin or cooking spray or the Loon product will all shed the water and if there is no water on the guide it won't freeze, but every time the line moves in or around the guide it wipes the stuff off and eventually water contacts metal. Once ice is on the guides the "submerge the rod and let the water melt the ice" routine is the best way to get ice off; picking at ice will likely damage a guide or wrapping. And at some point all the grease (water repellent) will need to be removed and cleaned from the entire rod and the line.

Winter is a great time to use loop connections and to pre-tie single fly or dropper rigs on snells that can be loop connected to the leader, perfection loops are pretty nice and work, but a surgeons loop is quick and fairly strong, my choice if tying it in wind and cold. Sandwich bags can keep each change of dropper separated and neat in a pocket.
    50' of sash cord or 1/4" nylon rope with hand loops tied dropper style every 3' or so can be tied off at the top of those high banks to make getting out a little safer.

Blog Entries

The only way I have found to reduce ice forming in line guides when the air temp is below 30 is to fish what I call a measured line. What that involves is fishing streamers and to determine what range or length of line will place the fly at optimum distance for fishing. Once you have allowed that length of line to exit the reel and the guides you then fish. You don't strip line back by hand, you re cast with that fixed length of line out of the tip top.

No stripping between casts equals no dragging water into the guides which equals no ice forming. When you catch a fish you will be reeling line in but this is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Beyond the technique I just described I think trying to keep ice from forming on a rod by rubbing some potion on the guides will not work in the long haul.

Time to learn to do the single hand snap T for you.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes huronfly, falcon53, dennyk, Bigfly liked this post

I'm with Ard, I'm normally swinging streamers or spey flies with a fixed length of line as well. Sub zero is when I switch to my multi-tip midbelly line and 14'er, it allows me to cast about 70 feet without the need to strip a single inch of wet line through the guides. Keep the guides dry and they can't freeze!
    Danny

10. Likes Ard, dennyk, Bigfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    Any thing you can coat the guides with that repels water will work until the line rubs it off enough that water can touch the metal and freeze, yes the chap stick or Albolene or Gink or Mucilin or cooking spray or the Loon product will all shed the water and if there is no water on the guide it won't freeze, but every time the line moves in or around the guide it wipes the stuff off and eventually water contacts metal. Once ice is on the guides the "submerge the rod and let the water melt the ice" routine is the best way to get ice off.
    I've tried cooking spray, chapstick, etc, and IMO nothing really works. And as soon as you lift the rod out of the water---ice is formed. My personal best (or stupidest) was on the river at 12, but I've outgrown that **** thankfully.
    On Edit: Just curious, others post the word c r a p on here often and it shows up, whenever I do it comes back as ****?

The measured line and swing would be fine on large waters, but where I was the line out was frequently less than 35' total and a step up or down stream would require an adjustment, I also found the idea of swing to be unproductive in still waters keeping the rod submerged past the stripper worked well enough to get a limit or to spend my few hours on the water, holding the rod down also keeps ice from forming on the line between rod tip and water; which seemed to the greatest source of ice in the guides. I think the coldest day I caught trout was ~-10F. Below zero, the upper body that is above the water chills too fast to be fun so there were only a few of those days and they were short ones. Intermediate line worked best for me as I recall, more contact with the above freezing water. Now, with the wisdom of age, I plan to fish only on days when the temperatures are above 38F. I believe the thermometers are changing to read warmer than it really feels, this is likely part of a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwy View Post
    I've tried cooking spray, chapstick, etc, and IMO nothing really works.
    I used to carry a can of cooking spray with me for winter fishing, and re-applied every 10 or 15 minutes. It worked ok, but now, on those rare occasions when I feel the need to fish in sub-freezing temps, I just break out the tenkara rod and avoid the problem altogether.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast