fly fishing with parkinsons?

leftytyro

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is for those of you who, like me, are having to figure out how to continue my passion for fly fishing with the reality of a diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease. Fortunately, I'm considered "high functioning", but hand tremor and arm ratcheting are affecting my developing casting ability. I'm wondering if those of you who may be similarly afflicted might have developed any strategies or workarounds you could share. I dread the idea of having to give up a sport I'm just beginning to treasure.
Thanks

spm

Reaction score
I can't help with your question, lefty, but I applaud your courage and dedication.

steve

caddis75

Reaction score
lefty,

I found this resource that may help;

The Fading Angler: Parkinson's

I took care of my Mom for a bunch of years so I commend your desire to keep going. I'd suggest looking for ways to tie easier knots, maybe pre-tie rigs when your tremors are low. Streamer fishing would be something I think would be less affected by your tremors. I'm wondering if there is a way to brace your rod against your chest once you cast? Maybe shorten your leaders to make it easier to turn over? Or consider rods that are softer and more forgiving? Also, the old nymph cast where you just lop it upstream would seem to be less affected by tremors.

Good luck and tight lines.

leftytyro

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions. I've been spending a considerable (and frustrating) time practicing knot tying and have pre-rigged leader/tippet/fly setups before I get on the water. Nymph fishing is also something I'll be doing more of. I'm also trying to learn to cast using my offside (Parkinson free) hand and arm. Of course, line control and hauling are a ***** trying to use my Parkinson's afflicted hand. jigsup's suggestion to look into Rexfly's adaptive Casting System is much appreciated. It looks really nifty!
Thanks again

norberttbelz

Reaction score
Double hand spey casting techniques - especially Goran Andersson. It is also a ton of fun and easier than learning off side overhead casting!
By the way, this is my first post anywhere, at least in the last 72 years.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Lefty,

Maybe this article/blog will inspire/help you. It is written by a Parkinsons patient and goes into many of the issues you have discussed.

The Fading Angler: Parkinson's

If you google Parkinson's and fly fishing you will find that you are not alone in fact fly fishing is highly recommended therapy for Parkinson's patients.

Regards,

Tim C.

leftytyro

Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for the heads up. McLean's post is indeed inspiring and comforting. I take part in a vigorous boxing exercise program 3 days weekly, which keeps me limber and gives me a great way to vent my frustration. Balance issues continue to be a challenge, especially since I'm almost exclusively a wade fisherman. As always, forum members have responded with kindness and encouragement.

Kevin

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Hi, lefty, I don't know if this would be of use, but if line management with your offside hand is tricky an automatic or semi-automatic reel might make reeling in easier?

I've heard good things about Vivarelli reels but there are several choices out there in a wide price range. If you don't mind 'old skool' you may find something with 'period charm' going for a fistful of dollars on eBay.
This Martin Mohawk is rather elegant - on one side, anyway. :)
And there's this one, a South Bend 1190, absolutely pristine condition..

I understand they tend to be somewhat heavier or may be unsuitable for your typical quarry, but maybe not. :)
Keep up the good fight!
James.

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
Kevin,
I work at a therapy clinic that works with patients with PD. We use weighted utensils for self feeding and I wonder if using a heavier rod/reel combo would help. I would guess that a faster recovering rod would filter out some of the tremors at the top. Also you might try a wrist cuff weight of 1-2# to put on your casting arm to muffle the tremors. I would also aggressively cross train the uninvolved extremity for casting without giving up on your involved arm. It sounds like you have discovered LSVT Big therapy with your boxing program. Keep fighting my friend.
Steve