Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Casting advice

Default Casting advice

Pointed loops. Hi all been holed up like everyone else and so I to do get a chance to experiment with my casting more then ever and make the best of it. It's funny, as mentioned in this article (and I know this is an old article) to this day it's still really tough to find any detail information or discussions featuring pointed loops. I'm pretty consistent throwing short 40' loops in the rat snout and arrow formation. I do understand the technique he describes especially the part about the relaxed hand after the stop. Rajeff discribes it in a slightly different way but if you can do it you do understand where they are both coming from and even Joan Wulff with the screen door analogy plays a part in forming a pointed loop.

Ok that said, for some reason if I try my hand at the wedge variation what I end up with is a pointed bottom leg but the top leg rides high not in a tight loop it looks more like the angle of a snow plow scraping the street. lol

Using SL tips for a pointed wedge loop has not been working for me. So I welcome any other thoughts or analogies I can use to break free from the snow plow. Ok thanks. Skol!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Casting advice

I can't help you with this but will give a bump, the cast guys will find it soon enough.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes LOC liked this post

Default Casting advice

Various loop shapes of tight loops arenít really Ďskillsí that can be learned but more result of tiny differences how someone casts (angle of stop, length of follow through, etc.).

Compare to how someone walks or runs. You canít say that someone who doesnít walk like a ballerina isnít walking right. So should we try to fix his walk so he walks like a ballerina?...

As long as there arenít mistakes (tailing loop basically) thereís not much to be worried about.
    Last edited by ibookje; 03-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.

5. Likes jdwy, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ibookje View Post
    Various loop shapes of tight loops aren’t really ‘skills’ that can be learned but more result of tiny differences how someone casts (angle of stop, length of follow through, etc.).

Compare to how someone walks or runs. You can’t say that someone who doesn’t walk like a ballerina isn’t walking right. So should we try to fix his walk so he walks like a ballerina?...

As long as there aren’t mistakes (tailing loop basically) there’s not much to be worried about.
    Thanks for the reply. Let me first say I'm just trying these different loops for fun. It's not a worry in any sense. I find it interesting like trying to solve a puzzle.

7. Default Re: Casting advice

From where are you watching your loops?
    Caster point or do you tape yourself?

Cheers
    Lasse

Ps. And remember, real world looks different than old paint created diagrams ;-)

8. Likes boisker liked this post

I haven't read the descriptions for the technique that you referenced- but I can tell you how I achieve this and help with your concern over loop size- let's start there.

The size of your loop is determined by how far down the tip travels after the "stop". Let it waggle down far = big loop. Learn to temper that stop with a disciplined wrist- absorbing that hard stop so the tip travel is managed = tight loops. Learning or "disciplining" that tempering wrist is a skill earned through a lot of practice.

As to the arrow shape leading the loop- this is a function of your thumb. That small press at just the right moment- before the controlled dampening from the disciplined wrist. You effectively "press" the arrow into your delivery- and hold. The thumb makes a smaller, additional "speed up into a stop" that the rest of your casting stroke is striving for. It "finishes" this action, or completes it at the very termination of the stroke.

Hope this helps- it isn't easy to describe, or to perform. Not something anybody can hand you- it has to be earned thru practice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by osseous; 03-26-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post

As to the arrow shape leading the loop- this is a function of your thumb. That small press at just the right moment- before the controlled dampening from the disciplined wrist. You effectively "press" the arrow into your delivery. The thumb makes a smaller, additional "speed up into a stop" that the rest of your casting stroke is striving for. It "finishes" this action, or completes it at the very termination of the stroke.

Hope this helps- it isn't easy to describe, or to perform. Not something anybody can hand you- it has to be earned thru practice.

Thanks a great way to describe a very tough thing to describe as you say.
    But I do understand your description clearly and it is very similar to how I feel what's going on to form loop at least for the point towards the bottom.

There is definitely that push of the thumb and then I relax my hand and let the rod rotate just a bit more while my wrist is stopped. If I find I am having a hard time to find the right stop to form a pointed loop I will over compensate at the thumb press and push / pull on the grip. It feels like I'm trying to pull the tip back under the line like a negative stop for lack of a better term. This usually works for me and I can then adjust my way into making the loop.

When I've seen some folks cast the rising arrow loop it's a thing of beauty.
    I'll keep at it. Thanks

11. Likes osseous liked this post

Work on your fingers being somewhat rigid, while the thumb presses. Should tighten things up for you and give that "cushion" to clean up your loop shape. The screen door handle is a pretty close analogy- but you aren't opening the door, as much as "working the handle".

13. Likes LOC liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    The screen door handle is a pretty close analogy- but you aren't opening the door, as much as "working the handle".

Yes nod, nod, "working the handle". I talked about this before in another thread but one of the most difficult things to transfer in the description of a fly casting technique is how minute the timing and mechanics can be.

I squeeze the stop with my bottom three fingers and leave my index relaxed as my thumbs pushes.

Good stuff and thanks!