Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas

Default Please, no autographs

So i have been a terrible fly caster my whole life. My maximum casting distance was around 40'-50'.

So the last week i have been practicing casting in my back yard for 30 minutes a day. Well today with a very slight breeze at my back, i got all my fly line out.

It was a swirling wind, so even when the wind shifted so that i was casting into it, i was still able to get 60' casts on a pretty regular basis. And when the wind died down i was in the 70-80' range. This was a huge improvement for me.

I was doing this on a sage DT2 5wt with flyline that is at least 6 years old. I wasnt using a fly however.

My next goal is to try to get a small streamer in the 60-70' range on my 8 wt. That is actually a useful distance for when i go walleye fishing. Although it is kind of useless for trout fishing.

I know this thread is just about me bragging, but if you saw me cast even 3 months ago you would of laughed at me. I guess practicing is the key.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please, no autographs

MTskibum: Yes practicing your casting will certainly improve both the accuracy and the distance, keep up the good work!

Larry

Default Re: Please, no autographs

Congratulations! i would think of it not as bragging, but an incentive for ppl like me who are awful casters to practice, practice,practice.