Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Getting that fly Down.....

MY plans are to find out how to get my fly down where it needs to be.... in that nice hole.

I can split shot?
    I can use a sinking leader?
    I can use a weighted fly?

just looking what the best to cast and best method...

thanks for the info

Issom B

Default Re: Getting that fly Down.....

Quote Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
    MY plans are to find out how to get my fly down where it needs to be.... in that nice hole.

I can split shot?

thanks for the info

Issom B

You can use a sinking line.
    You can use a sink tip line.

add fyshstyker's suggestion to the ideas you've already outlined and any combo would help get the fly down. i'd suggest his ideas plus a weighted fly first though. split shot works but introduces challenging aspects like hinging during the lob/cast.

if you don't tie flies, you might consider trying it out on a few select patterns you would use in these situations. besides the standard beads available, you can wrap the hook with lead wire (available in various thicknesses) before continuing with the basic pattern recipe. combined with sink tips or any other sinking line (different sinking rates are available) you should be able to attain your goal.

eric
    fresno, ca.

4. Default Re: Getting that fly Down.....

Yes there is a cast you can throw that will help ... you can throw a tuck cast.

Initially lots of slack line is what you're going to need, and ideally, a heavy fly dropping straight down out of the air.

A tuck cast curls your leader and fly down under your main line dropping your fly, and now slack leader, straight down (rather than laying it out straight)
    Simply throw your normal overhead cast (in the vertical plane), throw it a little harder and stop the rod abruptly with the rod tip kept higher than would be normal.
    It's important to make the stop much earlier, harder and higher than you usually would.

You'll know when you've done this correctly - it's not very pretty!
    Your line will shock and hook abruptly downwards rather than laying out straight. Now lower the rod tip and allow your flie to fire down into the water.

A tuck cast is actually very easy - probably easier than it sounds!

Practice!
    Cheers
    Carl
    ~Bumcast
    FFF Certified Master Casting Instructor
    www.onthefly.co.nz

That nice hole... if it's deep and short, maybe even with fast water, it's hard to beat good 'ol chuck 'n duck to get down and dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by smallieman View Post

I can split shot?

thanks for the info

Issom B
    All three work well, but in different situations. The sinking leader will work well in roughly the same situations as a sink tip line.

Now take ye this information, and journey the hills and dales of this site's search function, for I have not time to journey for you.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Now take ye this information, and journey the hills and dales of this site's search function, for I have not time to journey for you.
    Hmmm, maybe this should be my signature line....

Comments?
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.