Furl Girl Leaders

Tracker12

Reaction score
I ordered a couple of sinking leaders from Flygoddess for shad fishing and she sent me a 5 1/2 foot regular leader in for free. I tried it this evening at the pond fishing for bream and bass on my 5/6 wt. This leader fished very nice and cast outstanding. I was able to lay down the line and have the tippet extend nicely. I am a true novice and might not be the best gauge but these leaders helped me. One think I noticed that if I reeled the line in past the leader I could easily cast it out vice having to reach up and pull the line past the tip. Can wait to try the sinking leaders this week.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I have a couple of Joni's leader's that I have yet to tie on. I am excited to try them out!

Jimmie

Reaction score
Likewise. Have yet to use mine. I showed it off at our last FF club meeting. It was a big hit. One thing that surprised me was how many experienced fly fishermen were not familiar nor had heard of furled leaders. Are these new to fly fishing?

axle27

Reaction score
I have used furled leaders just recently for the first time...unfortunately, they are not Joni's.

With the possible exception of nymphing, I'll never go back to tapered leaders.

mojo

Reaction score
Likewise. Have yet to use mine. I showed it off at our last FF club meeting. It was a big hit. One thing that surprised me was how many experienced fly fishermen were not familiar nor had heard of furled leaders. Are these new to fly fishing?
Furled leaders have been around since silk fly lines (maybe even before). They were first made by furling horses tail hair. Long time ago. Or something like that. Basically dropped off the face of the earth when gut leaders came around. Then nylon monofiliment came into being and both were forgot. Until about 10 years ago when I got my first leader from Jim Cramer in California. Finally I got Joni to start making them after I heard and bought a DVD from Kathy Scott on building your own.
At least that's my story and I'll stick with it.

pszy22

Reaction score
As Mojo said, furled leaders have been around for a looooong time. Had you bumped into Isaak Walton or Charles Cotton back in the 1600's, they could have shown you the furled leader they were using.

If you are interested in the history of various flyfishing concepts, try to find a copy of a book by Darrel Martin called "The Fly-Fisher's Craft". Darrel may be most responsible for reviving the interest in Furled Leaders, his book "Micropatterns" is one of the first detailed references I recall seeing.

Joni

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Are you ready for this.....I found some GLO IN THE DARK Coats and Clark thread...LOL

Reaction score
I really like the Glo Leader from FlyGoddess. I have only had it on the water 1 time but it worked perfect and it looks cool at dusk. now weather it will spook the fish or not I couldn't tell you. I'm still floundering around a lot trying to get to a consistent cast, but the leader is great. Thx again.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Moments ago (via e-mail): "You need another one??!!"

Good friend in from Colorado at the end of his annual 'month fishing Oregon Rivers.' Joe got to cast these on two of my rods and doing WOOOOZERS!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Made him a very Happy Camper when I handed him a new one I'd gotten from Joni the day before. Loaded that thing the next morning (yesterday) on his 5wt Sage Z-Ax 2hander; took all of 5'ish minutes before "FISH ON!!"

fae

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
One thing that surprised me was how many experienced fly fishermen were not familiar nor had heard of furled leaders.
I had a leader Joni sent me with a fly swap for probably two years before I tried a furled leader. Even odder is that it was a different leader I tried first. I got one for my 15' two hander because of what Fred Evans had said. Now I use them all the time. It may be like me, they had things that worked for them and were just reluctant to mess with the system they already were used to. I really regret waiting as long as I did to become a convert.