First Concerts

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Mike mentioned in the LedZep thread that they were is first ;)
What's yours?

This was mine, at least in a stadium. July 16, 1972
The Grateful Dead with members of the Allman Bros. sitting in.
An additional first was seeing hippie chicks dancing topless. :thumbup:
It was a 6 hour adventure

[ame]http://youtu.be/xZIpAYVzI8c[/ame]

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, my first was Zep! For a 12 year old, it was pretty spectacular and one of my all-time favorite memories.

Would have love to have seen your first. I never saw the Dead but have seen the Allman Brothers numerous times.

dean_mt

Reaction score
That's the Dead hitting their prime isn't it? I'm not a big fan but what an amazing first show to experience.

Where is the "LedZep thread?" I do love that band...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That's the Dead hitting their prime isn't it? I'm not a big fan but what an amazing first show to experience.
Even though I saw the Dead play at least 10 times, I'm not at all a Deadhead. I just went to a lot of shows :eek:
That all started this particular summer ('72)
I worked for the caterer at that venue at least once a week through September and saw LOTS of bands 3 - 4 a night
It was great.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I was 14 years old, and the family spent a couple days in London on the way home from living in Tripoli, Libya for 6 years.

As we drove to our hotel, the taxi passed a big concert venue - David Bowie was playing, on his Diamond Dogs tour. Our hotel turned out to be 2 blocks farther on. I asked my parents if I could see an all-ages rock and roll show a couple blocks away, and they said yes. That would have been August 1973, I believe.

The kind of folks who went to Bowie shows those days were, shall we say, out of the ordinary. My eyes were opened, and the next day, when they saw in a local paper, a full-page picture of Bowie in a one-piece bathing suit with two plastic hands wrapping around his chest, a big gold circle on his head, and a flaming orange shag haircut, so were my parents'!

onemississipp

Reaction score
Dean, Zeppelin thread is "get the led out".... Okay rip, you are not going to believe this but my first concert not on a street or in some shack, was

Kiss, Alive/Worldwide Tour (also known as the Reunion Tour) 11 September 1996, in Oklahoma City, OK....thought I better see them....

dragon11

Reaction score
Billy Idol in the 8th grade. Believe it or not it was my mom who took me and a friend to the concert. It seems almost ironic now that I think about it.:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope this doesn't make you feel differently about me but I went to see a new band that was just gaining steam. Grand Funk Railroad

If it helps the last live show I was at I had VIP seats to my second Gordon Lightfoot show. Funny what 30 or 40 years will do to a fella.

Grand Funk Railroad 1971

Gordon Lightfoot The Wreak Of The Edmund Fitzgerald

If I had a thousand dollars for each time I've done Gord's songs as well as Neil Diamonds at Karaoke Bars, I'd be a rich man. First time was actually with a band in The Frontier Club in West Yellowstone MT. in 1981, I sang the Don Williams song Amanda. That was perhaps fueled by the fact I knew none of the people would ever see me again. :)

Curtis

Reaction score
Def Leppard and Uriah Heep. Had second row and was an amazed twelve year old kid.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Molly Hatchett opening for Cheap Trick at the Les Bois horse racing track in Boise Idaho.
Not sure how old I was but my mom drove me and a buddy so it must have before '79 because in Idaho back in the day you could drive at 14 years old and I remember riding in the passenger seat which hasn't happened since I got my permit:thumbup:

kev

ia_trouter

Reaction score
RUSH, don't remember the tour name. It was after 2112 album for sure. Best rock concert I ever attended was Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks is up there in best female vocalist category ever IMO. Country was Hank Jr at the height of his popularity. He is a helluva an entertainer.

milt spawn

Reaction score
I had seen bands, but my first show was 7/3/78 @St.Paul Civic, the last were 6/27 and 6/28/15. Long live Jerry!:punk: milt

herchammer

Reaction score
ia_trouter, RUSH was my first concert, as well; saw them in Kansas City, Primus opened. Never would have gone, but, was dating a girl that was a die hard RUSH fan. Quite the experience for a kid from the sticks........

Probably my favorite concert, was James Taylor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

0bie

Reaction score
Friends and I roadtripped to Toronto after graduation for a benefit concert- Stones, AC/DC and Rush. Flaming Lips opened for them. It was as weird as you would imagine ;)

stenacron

Reaction score
Blue Öyster Cult, Aug 1982 at the Allentown Fairgrounds. Opening act was Aldo Nova... and it was on after that! :rockon: