Big Bands

wls

Reaction score
I was born in 1943 and grew up listening to the end of the big band era. I saw the Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey Bands in the 50's. Todays music can't compare. Jackie Gleason's Music for Lovers albums,OMG. I have to admit that the great American song book albums by Rod Stewart are great.
I also like old country, Haggard , Cash, Nelson, Williams Sr., Jones.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I can't say I'm an afficionado but, yes, great music. Benny Goodman's 'Sing, Sing, Sing' still has immense power regardless of any nostalgia. Those drum start and you're hearing the birth of rock, then the sexiness starts with the horns .... and the rest of the band kicks in. How could you help but get up and dance?
And then that clarinet, sweet & sublime ,,,,,, and we're back to the earthy drums. It's an extraordinary piece, still.

Then there's Artie Shaw's 'Frenesi', full of optimism or The Andrew's Sisters' sparkling, 'Hold Tight'. That always makes me grin. And just some songs - 'My Blue Heaven' or 'Shine On Harvest Moon', for instance ...... I must have six different covers of that - Oliver Hardy's being my favourite. :)

Glad you got to see your heroes, wls. The memories still warm you, I'm sure.
(Born in '62, btw, Good music will always be Good Music.)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My mother was a big band fan and that kinda rubbed off on me.
In the day I was fortunate enough to have seen The Count Basie Orchestra, Woody Herman's Thundering Herd, front row for The Buddy Rich Big Band.
Probably a few others as well... Duke Ellington Orchestra (w/o Duke), Sun Ra Arkestra ;)

[ame]http://youtu.be/pcEKAWZ1Nbk[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/1qjiQwD7VCI[/ame]

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
My 30 YO son was a WWII reenactor so we've got lots of the big band stuff from that era around here (since he's of that era, the CD's stay behind after he downloads it to his phone).
I had a short jazz appreciation for a while, I pretty much was done with that when I was recording an album, had to start over, and realized I couldn't tell one song from the other.
But... I have an album called "Jazz Gala Concert" ( Jan 18 thru 23, '76, W. Germany) on the Atlantic label that I really like. Lots of big names and it rocks.
Also love the big bands behind Sinatra, and the rest of the Rat Pack.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
I am listening to big band as we speak. The era of the 40 generated some of the greatest standards ever written, the best musicians/bands and some of the greatest lady and gentlemen vocalist of all time. If you want to listen to big band, there are several video on you tube and there is one station WMNR that broadcast big band every Saturday night from 6:30 to 9:00 EST. Enjoy.

Shady Mixx

Reaction score
I like big band but haven't listened to it in a bit. I was into that and jazz for a brief period after watching the iconic film "Whiplash", a film I recommend to anyone who enjoys a good movie. My music is all over the place when it comes to what mood I'm in. Could be a videogame soundtrack like Doom or Silent Hill, Madonna, 90s era hip hop, progressive rock, or classical.

JoJer

Reaction score
I was born in 1943 and grew up listening to the end of the big band era. I saw the Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey Bands in the 50's. Todays music can't compare. Jackie Gleason's Music for Lovers albums,OMG. I have to admit that the great American song book albums by Rod Stewart are great.
I also like old country, Haggard , Cash, Nelson, Williams Sr., Jones.
During my active duty AF years, I lived in BAQ-and most of us spent money on ginormous stereo (and Quad) equipment. Sometimes, disputes broke out and were never settled by volume, it was settled by cops, shutting down the party so people blocks away could sleep.
I've decided there's no such thing as bad music. Disagree if you want.
I get as cranked up by some classical (Blue Danube, Fur Elise) as I do by Blues music (Further On Up The Road, Eric Clapton or anybody, Blues Brothers,) or any great musicians, and Vocalists (Rat Pack, Etta James, Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin, and beyond that, trying to pick the "best" you only end up with what you like best.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I can't say I'm an afficionado but, yes, great music. Benny Goodman's 'Sing, Sing, Sing' still has immense power regardless of any nostalgia. Those drum start and you're hearing the birth of rock, then the sexiness starts with the horns .... and the rest of the band kicks in. How could you help but get up and dance?
And then that clarinet, sweet & sublime ,,,,,, and we're back to the earthy drums. It's an extraordinary piece, still.
In case there's actually someone out there that's never seen this.