RIP Neil Peart From Rush

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Neil Peart from Rush dead at 67...Brain Cancer

Rush was one of the top artists on the soundtrack for my misspent youth. I saw them first in 1977 and had seen them 10-15 more times since then. Neil Peart MADE that band for me. Taking nothing away from Lee or Liefson, but Neil Peart was Rush for me. The first time I saw them live and he did a roll from the farthest drum on his right, all the way across his kit to the far left, my mouth fell open and stayed that way for days. I still, to this day, can remember that like yesterday.

His drum solos were the stuff legends were made of and the lyrics he wrote spoke of epic journeys, mythology, space and social consciousness. I remember hearing them for the first time at a friends house and thinking they were so heavy sounding and at the same time not. They reminded me of Led Zeppelin in a way.

His kit was another thing that legends were made of. He must have and over 50 various drums, cymbals, tympani drums, gongs, kettle drums, cowbells, wood blocks, chimes, and any other things he could hit to keep a beat.

RIP Professor, you will be sorely missed as a person and as a drum God.

3nglenn

Reaction score
Others will try, but NO ONE will equal the Professor, musically, lyrically, drumming wise, huge influence on prog. Grew up on Rush. A very intelligent. humble guy. "Limelight" says it all.... For those in the know, you know what I mean. The best musicians come from Canada anyway (except for Justin Bieber (Ralf, barf) .... RIP maestro ....

My other passion: pic below

Attachments

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Sad news. I can't even begin to describe the influence his writing and playing had on me. What a master. No one has ever played like he did.
I'm going up to my man cave right now and cranking 2112 through the headphones. There may be a bourbon involved.

stenacron

Reaction score
Sad news. I can't even begin to describe the influence his writing and playing had on me. What a master. No one has ever played like he did.
I'm going up to my man cave right now and cranking 2112 through the headphones. There may be a bourbon involved.
This happened over two years ago, no?

stenacron

Reaction score
Only saw them once... Permanent Waves Tour, Allentown Fairgrounds. I don't think the album had been released yet. What a show! Kind of the last time they were all rock/hard rock. Good stuff.

lone wolf

Reaction score
I was lucky to have seen them many times...Power Windows Tour, R30, R40,Clockwork Angels,Snakes and Arrows...No one really compares to them..maybe Tool but not really.