Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  83
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Blog Entries

Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

Although I have more knives than a fellow needs my all round favorite is the Benchmade Osbone Axis model 940. The Griptillion knives are Axis style but the original Osborn with the machined aluminum scales has such a slim profile that you don't notice you're carrying it. The steel of the blade has an incredibly sharp edge and is easy to maintain also. The 940 runs 215.00 retail or for those who would want the Abel type there is the 940-121 Limited Edition at 500.00

I never use it for heavy cutting but it is there if I need it. BTW, your Sportsman's Warehouse should have the 940 there.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

I was looking through old threads (yes some of my own) and came on this post. I had forgotten about the thread years ago.

maybe some will give it a second life, some of the photos are gone but many remain so it's worth a look maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
    Here are a few I made from repurposed steel from early files and large saw blades. Heat treated and tempered the steel to 57 -59 hardness.

Couple bird and trout knives Handles in white ash from files

Woodlore style Bushcraft knife black cherry handles

Old 14 inch commercial saw blade that had damaged carbide teeth.
    Plasma cutter. Then reworked blades and heat treated back to knife steel hardness.

Old file belt knife in Canadian Rock Maple

Nessmuk style skinner In African bloodwood

A clipper in ash with sheath

Large clipper style in blood wood I make the sheaths too!

Also enjoy refinishing old Swedish, Canadian or American axe heads and custom hafting them.

Also want to give a shout out to the Mora knives of Sweden. For everyday use around water I suggest the stainless steel Sandvik model. It comes in a variety of edges from straight blade to serrated to rounded tip for puncture prevention. I use a blaze orange handled one with a partially serrated edge for my fishing knife. Best blades for the buck which is little at under $20 for most modest models.

This one is the Mora Robust. A little thicker and wider blade with a little beefier handle. Probably the best overall knife in the world in its price bracket of $25 or less. This one is in carbon steel. Don't be fooled by the plastic handles. The stuff is indestructible. I used one as a throwing knife for over a year. Still works great.

Cheers

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

3. Thanks fredaevans thanked for this post
    Likes rangerrich99, myt1 liked this post

My father in law passed this along to me. It's a 1930's German made Heinr Boker & Co. It was given to him when he was in the Marines 60+ years ago. He tells me that he would challenge other Marines to see if he could cut the edge off their knife... said he never lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Ard, fredaevans, rangerrich99, myt1 liked this post

In my trout/salmon vest I have a Leatherman skeletal knife with a combination smooth and serrated blade. This is a very good knife for gutting out fish streamside and being stainless steel is easy to maintain.

In my warmwater vest I have a Swiss Victorinox folding locking blade knife with a 3.5" blade. I like this knife for scaling and filleting panfish.

For skinning & filleting large fish I have a Swiss Victorinox 10" butcher's knife with a slightly curved blade.

My sharpening is done with a medium and fine grit stones and polished with ceramic crock sticks and leather strop. All my knives are VERY sharp and easily maintained.

Lot's of really nice knives pictured in this thread!

Denny

7. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hey dean,

Love that old Boker! I guess I should dig out whatever I have left of my little collection of knives. I sold some dandy collector types years ago because they were just getting older and I didn't expect to see the value go up too much more in my lifetime.

Denny,

You are carrying some good tools there buddy. I have always been impresses with the blades on Leatherman products and Swiss Army Knives! ........... They are like surgical tools, sharp may not be the appropriate word, I have 2 of them.

I'll chat this up with you guys later, the weather is changing fast here, I'm headed to the river soon. There are now heavy frosts every night and the nights are clear meaning it'll keep happening. Just a week ago it was cloudy with temps hanging around 40 -41 over night, that was all the way out at the cabin where the snow comes first. Just a week and I gotta throw things into high gear or be caught without the wood stacked and the river frozen............

9. Likes dennyk, dmwphoto liked this post

winter this early is a sin....
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

I've got a Benchmade Mel Pardue 3550s that I have carried for the past 11 years. The thing is a tank. I am actually very surprised that I haven't lost it. I hope that day will never come but if it happens, I will definitely get another Benchmade.

12. Likes myt1 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm aware that they command top dollar for the knives, sorta like the Abel Nipper of the pocket knife market but............. Every one I've had has been sollidly built, very sharp, easy to maintain the edge and the Axis opening system is the best one hand operation I've ever used. I have various locking blade knives but they require both hands to close the blade. Some still require both hands to deploy the blade. That was the beauty of the 904 that I recently lost, you just slid the bolt back and the blade dropped out. Same thing to close things up.

Keep your friends close and your knives closer.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by deanb10s View Post
    My father in law passed this along to me. It's a 1930's German made Heinr Boker & Co. It was given to him when he was in the Marines 60+ years ago. He tells me that he would challenge other Marines to see if he could cut the edge off their knife... said he never lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks very much like an 'old school' Boy Scout pocket knife. The 'old ones' were made with a carbon steel blade and would take a scary sharp edge .. A Good Thing!

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

15. Likes deanb10s, Ard liked this post

This is a great thread. I have always enjoyed reading the posts but am now looking for an everyday carry so reading through again. I always carry some sort of knife. Keys, phone, wallet, knife every morning. I went through traditional pocket knives, then swiss army, then a leatherman. The leatherman I had was too bulky in the pocket for everyday carry, so started putting an abel tool on my key chain, then a leatherman micro. Have decided to stop that and go back to a single blade knife, the KISS principle.

I have an Abel blade that I carry at all times fishing, and it would be just what I was looking for to carry everyday, but no longer available and do not want to raid my fishing gear anyway. Looking at benchmade North Fork, Proper, or 940 with the aluminum handle. Anyone have any experience with these? Also curious if people use the clip for the pocket or go without.

17. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast