Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb The Watch Aficionado Chat Thread;

Whether you love your Rolex or swear by your G Shock this will be ground zero for discussing your quirky affection for having a watch on your wrist. I'm hoping this can be a good place for members to chat about what they use, what they want, and what they really like about their watch / watches.

The recent rebirth of an old thread where a member posed a question about automatic watches is what spawned this thread. I've always admired watches as far back as I can remember. If you think about it you too may have gotten a Timex for Christmas when you were just a youngster too........

I'll get the show on the road with a photo

Please be respectful of the intent of the thread. If you do not wear a watch, if you think they are a waste of money you are entitled to that opinion but there is no need to chime in on the thread just to say so.

Thanks

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Default Re: The Watch Aficionado Chat Thread;

Thanks for starting what should be a pretty fun thread. I will play along with a pic of one of my quirky Russians... a vintage wind up "Generalskie" with a "Amphibia" bezel and bracelet.

4. Likes Ard, GrtLksMarlin, karstopo, wlshafor liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi there, I agree, in the middle of winter here I need something to talk about besides fishing. Don't get me wrong, I like fishing but I can only live on memories for so long. It's about 2* right now and I'm not too stoked about rods & reels at this point so why not some chat about something else.

I've never seen one of those, how is it accuracy wise? Anyone who has found one of those definitely has a few more watches around too

Regarding accuracy, last April I ordered a watch from Steinhart, it's the one in the picture. I was curious about its accuracy because I already had an auto that ran inconsistently so I began checking the timing day to day and week to week during the summer. Once I determined that it was good but not what I thought good enough I bought a watch tool kit so I could regulate it. I was so busy until the end of August that I just lived with the fact that it ran +6/7 seconds per day. They have a hacking action so I would just pull the stem and count to 15 or 16 every other day during the summer and that kept it on time. While that worked, it bothered me and when I was home for a good long stretch I started timing it. They are touchy and just a tiny bit of movement in the regulator means a lot. I checked it every morning at the same time against the Atomic clock to see how I was doing. During this period I wore the watch 24/7 so it was being timed in relation to my wearing and activity pattern. I just took a quick look at it right now and it appears to be +1. From everything I have read if your auto winder is running at +/- one to three second per 24 hours you have a very good one. It looks as if the movement in mine is capable of good performance but it took some perseverance to get it running this well.

Back in 2013 I had bought a Tissot Seastar, pretty neat design but it was very unpredictable as far as it's run timing. This past August while I was doing the Steinhart I also did the Tissot. When after a week the best I could get from it was +/- seven to 10 pre day I decided to move it along. The fellow who bought it was pleased with the appearance and satisfied with the time keeping. I guess that goes to show the difference in people and what they expect from a watch. The fact that I could not get that watch to run within what I considered a reasonable window of time keeping doomed it to be sold.

This is what it looked like when sold;

I liked the watch but couldn't get past the timing issue. At this point I have just a few watches and wear only one of them. If you are a watch aficionado then you know that is subject to change at any time

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

I've worn watches in the past, though I've never had a high $$ watch, usually a Timex of some sort. Being cheaper watches they last a couple years and then die, last one died several months ago and has yet to be replaced. This thread got me to thinking that it's time for a new watch.

Can you give me some info on brands in the couple hundred buck range that would be worth while?

Blog Entries

Hi John,

There's no way to go wrong with the Seiko or Citizen watches if you want a traditional look on steel bracelet. If you want something more utility based the G Shock line from Casio is very good and their battery life is incredible. Most of those can be had under 150.00 and some well under 100. I'm talking quartz here not autos, for the guy who just wants a watch quartz is the ticket. Buying an automatic is like getting a pet.

(L) Bucherer 18K, numbered Tank Watch, 60's era ,that I have had since 1972...

(R) A Timex beater I wear all the time - a gift from my kids last year...

The Tag Heuer is in the shop, getting a new crystal & stem...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

9. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Nice PT, what model Tag? I had one for 15 years and sold it recently to fund another project; it's a watch project but will take a while to put it together

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Nice PT, what model Tag? I had one for 15 years and sold it recently to fund another project; it's a watch project but will take a while to put it together

Tag Heuer Sport "2000"...972.606

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

12. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I am falling out of love with my Omega Seamsaster, Ive probably got $900 in repairs over the last 7 years. Since all the parts for Omega bracelets are proprietary that = big repair bills. A new bracelet for it would be $900 and I would end up with the same issues (pins wear out and break) you can't just "buy a pin, you have to buy a "Omega pin" from a Omega shop for $150. Two weeks ago I took it to a fast fix jewelry repair in the mall and the guy put a pin, flattened, soldered and polished so it hinges. He said it is a pretty permanent fix and not what the book says to do, but it works.

I have a Tag Carrera I love but the brown alligator leather strap gets odorous in in the summer.

My wife hooked me up for Christmas though

Oregon Ducks Citizen Eco Drive my new daily wearer

And the Coup De Grace...and I love it. Tag Heur Aquaracer with my Oregon Ducks logo in it

Can you tell where I went to College ?
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

14. Likes mcnerney, Ard, fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

With those 2 for regular wear I would be gun shy to keep putting money into the Omega. This is however the first time I've heard of this problem with that watch. I don't own one but read a lot about various makes.

Me, I just bought an ETA 2824-2 Elabore movement so the die is cast, I'm going to build my own custom watch. I've been reading whatever I can find regarding various automatic movements and trying to sort it all out. There is a definite point where I would be paying more for elaborate decorations in and on the movement and gaining nothing more in reliability and accuracy. With that I settled on the Elabore 2824, it's half a millimeter thicker than it's best competitor but because it'll go into a sports case I'm not sweating the height overall. The Steinhart I wear every day is 13mm tall so it's pretty predominate on the wrist.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast