Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: the realm of scotch

Quote Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
    He rolled a mouthful of Famous Grouse (the Budweiser of good Scottish malt) and said," Ah, the pipes. When I hear the pipes it makes me want to drink whiskey and make plans to march on England!"
    Great story! Love it. Reminds me of an Irish friend that gets quite...shall we say...patriotic when he gets into his cups of Jameson - Aye, the water of life!

I am a bourbon man, but have throughly enjoyed the Laphriog on occasion. I love the peat.

2. Likes imxer liked this post

4. Likes imxer liked this post

Caol Ila is making a strong run on Lagavullin 16 as my favorite malt.

Competition is good.......it keeps you drinking!

Pocono
    Last edited by Pocono; 01-20-2013 at 06:37 AM.

This thread is killing me as I'm 12 days into the detox part of my diet. 18 more days before I can have alcohol, caffeine or a cigar again.
    But once again I'm amazed at the breadth of knowledge on this forum. And I'll be chiming in when and if we talk about good cabernets.

Favorite? "The Famous Grouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
    I was stationed in Scotland 1986-1988 courtesy of the USN. Spent the first month in a local Dunoon hotel waiting for housing, and came to know the owner quite well.

He introduced us to all the great highland malts, with Laphroaig tops on his (and my) list.

Several month after we moved into housing, we went back to the hotel for drinks and dinner. I told the owner that I had taken up the bagpipes and was doing quite well after finding a local tutor.

He rolled a mouthful of Famous Grouse (the Budweiser of good Scottish malt) and said," Ah, the pipes. When I hear the pipes it makes me want to drink whiskey and make plans to march on England!"

Chris

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

I enjoy most whiskeys except Canadian whiskey. The most exciting Scotch to me in the last year or so has been the Bruichladdich "Laddie 10".

I am a big scotch guy. My favorite is Dalmore, 18 year is usually stocked in my house, right nwo I have 12 year a friend got me.

Blog Entries

just had the tomatin 12 year. great scotch whisky

casey

ARFE

11. Likes Pocono liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    just had the tomatin 12 year. great scotch whiskey

casey
    Now, that's a new one on me; and I thought I'd tried most of them.

During the mid-'80's I was assigned to find a European-based manufacturing facility site for some products that we were developing. I looked all over Europe, mostly talking to the governments of countries who were interested in switching their old smokestack industries into more modern ones; and, of course, Biotech qualified then as an up and comer.

In the end, we decided on Scotland; based on some very positive financial incentives, as well as a good pool of well-trained people. Working with the Scottish Development Agency (SDA) put me in Scotland about 1/2 time for almost 6 months, negotiating the agreement.

While in Scotland, I stayed outside of Livingston; close to Edinburgh, in an old manor house called the Houston House. In the cellar of that house, they had over 100 scotch malts. And by the time I left, I had happily drunk my way through well over half of them; and I knew at least a little something about the others; or so I thought..................

I see that Tomatin is a Highland malt; claiming to be the best in that region; I wonder what Highland Park thinks of that claim................................. Guess I'll just have to get a bottle and run the experiment myself.................boy, you can retire, but the work never ends does it?

Pocono

13. Likes caseywise, fyshstykr liked this post

I prefer Irish whiskey (Bushmill's 21), but my nephew recently gave me some Lagavullin to try. Enjoyed it, but still prefer Irish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast