Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the realm of scotch

Default Re: the realm of scotch

When I drank the Scotch, I enjoyed The Dalmore. Probably not 18 yr. I don't recall the age. I also liked Bushmills.

Then I switched to Bourbons.

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

"The Yamazaki Single Malt Whiskey - 12 Year". Right. Scotch from Japan.

Got this from my son. Haven't tried it yet. Has anyone seen/tried this?

i drink more irish whiskey's - bushmills, 16yo is pretty. as is the 10yo. aint tried the 21yo, but have high hopes for it.

The Green Spot, a more rare irish whiskey is awesome, but good luck finding it state side, i believe they only make about 40 cases per year, most for domestic use.

Bushmill's 10 reminds me of Bushmill's 21. For some reason the 16 tastes a lot more harsh to me.

Aberlour 12 year. Sf

6. Likes thewalker1013 liked this post

Having Scottish Blood in me,even though I haven't drank much of it in The Last few years,I don't mind a Wee Drop of Glenfidich,Chivas Regal,Glenmorangie & the list goes on.
    One of my departed Fishing Mates was Irish so naturally I tried John Jamieson,Paddy plus a few more Irish Whiskeys,especially on St Patrick's Day,after sampling a few Guiness's.
    I have some Irish Mist & Glaya Scotch Liquers I'm waiting to Sample.
    Brian.

Blog Entries

Lagavulin 16 Islay
    Laphraoig 15 Islay
    Taliskers 18 Isle of Skye
    Cragganmore Speyside
    Bowmore Islay
    Dalwhinnie Highland
    Glenfiddich 12 Speyside
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban Highland
    The Macallan's 25 Speyside

Looks like I'm a Islay kind of guy.

This not in order of preference, and it is more than possible that I have put a couple of these with the wrong regions, and if I have, I want to express my deepest apologies to the single malt scotch gods.

These are just my current favorites. However, if I had to pick just one to drink for the next year, I think I'd have to go with the Mac 25. Or Lagavulin's 16.

Drinking single malt always brings memories or day dreams, sometimes both. Lagavulin seems to take me to a collage of several winter afternoons, that I spent in a cabin I rented by myself near Crested Butte, CO over twenty years ago. The sunlight was fading fast, almost running across the ground asthe snow flurries whipped down the mountain. I had gotten the fire going about twenty minutes before and sat in a chair near the hearth warming back up and looking out the window. The snow ticked like the tiniest grains of sand against the windows, The fire snapped its first snap, and I watched as the trees swayed with every gust of wind. I was warm and dry, a short glass of Lag in my hand, looking out at that cold, snowy, darkness. And I knew I could smell winter out there, and maybe even feel it. Perhaps even taste it in the smoky amber in that glass. Lag warmed my soul on those days when the sun could not.

Gotta love the smoke of the Islay.

Peace.
    Last edited by rangerrich99; 01-21-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Blog Entries

i just got a bottle of glenkinchie 12 year that is very good.

casey

ARFE

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Interesting thread here. Drank single malts for years ... too many to be truthful...

But if you want a fun party do a 'blind' Single Malt tasting party. (Think wine tasting for a comparative.)

Fellows would bring over a bottle of 'xyz' during the week and I'd set up the table with small glass's of each (just a couple of cc's). We'd try the first (lighter to heavier) and 'discuss/write notes.'

Base line idea was (save for me) no one knew what he had in his hand till the very end. End game with new folks to a good Whisky, is their first exposure was rot-gut .... Having started there, they ended there as in 'Hate the damned stuff.'

More than a few had an eye opening experience.

One, the best?, was a Cast strength series. Damned hard to get back in those days ... not your Mama's 80 proof, usually closer to 100 - 115. With this one the Fellows got a small glass of Distilled water and a 'cc marked thing (word for those totally escapes me at the moment) and add about 25 percent water. Later I found (out of Canada) I could get (I kid you not) bottled Glacier snow melted water. Amazing how good that was.

My Uncle Mac turned me on to that, and I'd have him ship me down a case of the bottles. Often wondered what the Custom's Folks thought as they looked at the Declaration Form ... 'Water????'

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

This is a pic of some of my favorite shades of brown. The Glenfiddich 15 is a nice one but a little pricey.

cheers
    phil
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast