Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Theme of the week or Month

Default Re: Photo Theme of the week or Month

tob1: your waxwing shot is wonderful!

I'm in!

A scarlet dogwood reaching through the maples.

Purple a fall color? These beautyberries are.

Pond surface abstract of maple, oak, and duckweed.

I like the idea of a week/month photo theme. Let's do it!

Mike

Nice shots Sep.

d

about as Fall colors I have left.

mike

5. Likes thorsten liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hey Mike,

That bunch of water shots you posted on the Show Us thread; did you use a ND filter on them? Also what lens?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hey Mike,

That bunch of water shots you posted on the Show Us thread; did you use a ND filter on them? Also what lens?
    Ard,

I almost hate to admit it, but those shots were all taken with a simple waterproof point-and-shoot camera - an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. In fact, most of my on-stream pictures are. As clumsy as I am, taking the Nikon on he water - I shoot an older D70 around the house - is not an option. The Stylus I can dunk, drop, sit on, and freeze - all of which I have done on many, many occasions - and it slips into my pocket quite nicely.

I'm a big fan of Lightroom and use it extensively, but those particular three are pretty close to how they came out of the camera - minor crops and horizon leveling done, mostly. I've read mixed reviews on the Stylus line but I have had some pretty decent results.

Just goes to show that, with a little attention to light and composition, it doesn't take fancy equipment to get some nice images.

Mike

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

.. and to answer your question, the Stylus has the equivalent of a 28-102mm zoom lens. No filters possible.

MIke

OOPS!!! Wrong Mike... :-) My statement stands, however.
    Last edited by Sep; 11-23-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Oops! Wrong Mike.

Blog Entries

I see that having 2 'Mike's' participating here is going to cause some minor confusion Mike (Sep) I loved your water shots and they were beautiful views......................but I was asking the other Mike about the most recent entries he had made on the thread.

I understand exactly what you are saying about handling an SLR type camera on the rivers. Many a fine fish has escaped the stress and humiliation of a photo shoot because I leave mine in the boat more than carry it. I actually have a tiny little Kodak point & shoot that I should carry but I seldom have it along. I often consider a waterproof one myself but there are so many other things I could use more. I'm thinking of buying another Brit built Cascapedia and I guess I want that more

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

doh!! hahah. I do like shooting water flows, yes ND filter was used. the lense on the water shots was my older canon 28-105mm USM I was bractet shooting from 1 sec f18 to 3 sec at f29 all with iso 100. If you click on my mbphotos page in my signiture I posted the full gallery in the Otter Creek Outdoor recreation Area Photos gallery. oh and tripod was used on all.. its still drying out from being used and a hiking stick since i wasnt using my wading shoes... feet still ended up wet. ahh the things we do for a good shot. If itll help you can reference me as mb to avoid future confusion.

Some fall colors

Trygve

Blog Entries

You know I like that Trygve, beautiful. I wish the weather was still like that here, today I shoveled out snow around the storage area of the snowmachine. Then I removed the spark plugs, cleaned them, shot a little Starting Fluid into each of the 3 cylinders, and got it fired up. After that I took it for a short drive to be sure all was well as when I put it up last spring. Once that was finished I did a little more snow plowing and then went inside and built a nice wood fire. All the outdoor stuff was accomplished in +3* F weather with more snow on the way.

When we get a break in temperatures I'll go XC skiing and take some snow pictures

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast