Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dad

Default My Dad

My father died today.
    He was a life long flyfisherman but he tied the worst flies and he never could cast for sh*t. Still, when I was young, he nearly always took me with him fishing. (especially when my grandfather was there to watch me. )

In later years it was I that took him fishing.
    Toward the end, when he couldn't wade (15 + years) , or cast (he said it was bursitus), we would sit for hours on the river bank, he is his wheelchair and I in a lawn chair, critiquing the form of those in the pool below us. That was the most fun.

It's good that he's gone. He was sick for many years and no longer had any "quality of life".
    He hated his later existence and I hated it with him.
    It's much better now that he's at peace
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Default Re: My Dad

Don't know what to say to that Paul, other than having buried both my father & mother I can relate.

You are in my thoughts,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I'm sorry Rip.
    Losing my Dad was the single hardest factor I've had to deal with so far in my life, it really sucked and I feel for ya Bro.

Your Dad is happy again, feeling no pain, casting better than ever, and catching the heck out of bigger Stripers than he ever imagined. He's in a very good place.

God Bless you and your family.
    Last edited by fysh; 01-03-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Blog Entries

i cant even imagine or the feel the pain that you are having now
    in this time i will pray,remember and honor you and your father.

casey

ARFE

Sorry for your loss Rip. Still one of life's tough ones, but nice to think that he might be fishing again.

Blog Entries

Really sorry for your loss Rip.My dad passed away seven years ago,I know what you feel.Your post shows this forum is more than a flyfishing one...it's like a big family.

Blog Entries

Paul: Sorry for your loss, but as you said, he is now in a better place and feeling no pain. I lost my father back in the late 80's so I know what your going through. God Bless!

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

this this song my friend-
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXoAF_rBgR8]Peter Gabriel-Father Son - YouTube[/ame]

casey

ARFE

My condolences. It is a tough loss. I lost my dad when I was 24. I still think about him every day. It sounds like you two had a great time fishing over the years. Keep the memories alive.

Alan
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Rip.

It sounds from your post like he's in a better place now and I'm sure he'll continue to keep an eye on you and your fishing from above. After all, parents never stop looking at their children as children. I have yet to meet a father who didn't want a better life for his children than the one he had himself.

Allan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast