Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Things we learn the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
    consider talking to your Doc
    Doc is sending me to a neurosurgeon in Duluth. I'm going to do another MRI. Sheesh, I should be able to stick refrigerator magnets to me after this one. If I'm lucky I can get the surgery done before I'm sharing a room with Charlie Sheen at the Dunes rehab center.

I don't want a soft matress. I want the rack they had in the Addams Family. Crank it down till I hear a good POP! Ahhhhhhh.

Actually, Dan, at one point a friend got me to hang upside down with a contraption he had. I can't believe I was desperate enough to do that, but I did and it helped for awhile, especially while I was hanging upside down!

Well I went and had an MRI yesterday. They called me this morning and wanted me to come in and talk about it. I figured it was a bad sign when they want to talk about it that fast. It was. I have two seriously blown discs and am headed off to surgery. My next stop is the neurosurgeon in Duluth. Have to see what they say, but actually it's a relief to hear this. I really don't feel like taking these kinds of drugs for long. To many bad 'Doctor shopping' stories floating around out there. Plus up here it may be fast enough it won't screw up my Spring fishing. Spring is later here than ...... anywhere outside of far far North or the South pole. I'm thinking if they get me in right away I have 6 weeks till the Spring Pike run. Five if the winter stays warm. Even if I get screwed out of the Spring Pike, they hang shallow where I can nail the snot out of them for a while plus it overlaps the Spring Walleye and Smallmouth. Being screwed up bad enough to make them go fast on this could be a good thing.At least I know where I'm at on it. I've always been a fast healer, just need to get the curve headed in that direction. Maybe spring for that wading staff.

Thats the spirit Dan and I hope everything will be fine

Will pray for your swift recovery Dan. Had you been having back problems for a while?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

good luck with surgery dan. then heal up fast and hammer some pike....pain free!!
    healing thoughts sent your way

casey

ARFE

Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm a fast healer. As for how this happened, I worked 10 hour days on the Lake of the Woods on a snowmobile. I did in the neighborhood of 6000 miles a winter. I essentially killed a snowmobile every winter. I had trouble with one of them, the last one and it's shocks. It ended up destroying a good number of discs. I finally had two that have just decided to surrender. It's kind of like Chief Dan George in the movie 'The Outlaw Josie Wales' when he said "I didn't surrender but they made my Mule surrender". I'm not surrendering, just need to get something done about my sissy discs. I'm actually glad I'm going to be going to get this fixed. It has been causing me some problems for a while.

Good luck with the surgery. It should improve things. I don't think there is any advice I can give except that when you get out of surgery make sure you remain active (in accordance with the doc's advice). Go out for walks, stretch, therapy, etc. Inactivity leads to poor recovery. Let us know how it goes. SF

Good luck with the surgery Dan, hope all goes well with surgery and recovery and you are back fishing in no time.

d
    ex·pe·ri·ence noun \ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s\

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Good luck with your surgery Dan. Back pain is the worst been there . Unfortunately our bodies get older but are mind and spirit still think like we are 21. I had a triple bypass and thought I was fishing three weeks later. Well I did and put myself back in the hospital. Finally let myself get the proper rest and now fishing till I drop again . Give it the time it needs you may miss part of a season (I know how hard that is) but in the long run you won't miss a years worth. Get well soon.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast