Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric or blade?

Default Re: Electric or blade?

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    The other day at the store I remembered I needed some new razors... Holy Cow they were like $12.00 for 5 inserts!
    Blood sucking theives! I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole... If you have to stick with cartridge razors, check out Dollar Shave Club. Their advertising is hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    ... heaven forbid I may go old school and pick up a single blade handle and try that route.

What do you use and why? Cost?
    I can strongly recommend the old school wetshaving route and encourage you to look into it further. You will get noticeably better shaves with less irritation, spend way less in the long run (my favorite blades are 18c each), and might even find out that you enjoy shaving or at least find it relaxing. Crazy, I know...

My lifetime razor - Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor ($40ish)
    Blades - Red Pack Personna ($17.99/100)

I often use this setup with some (brushless) shaving cream from Trader Joes & find it does a fine job. You will definitely want to skip the goo in a pressurized can & there are many good/cheap options in the way of shave cream & soaps. Taking this next step from brushless creams means you'll need a shaving brush.

Brush - Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger Hair Shaving Brush ($40ish). This will last a long time (decades?), but check out the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set at Wally world for a cheaper starter option.

There is a ton of great info about old school wetshaving online... Badger & Blade - Home is a good start, as are mantic's videos on YouTube - mantic59 - YouTube

Hope that helps!

Hot shower.... Bic sensitive....hair conditioner......DONE! Works like a charm. It might not be the greatest, but I don't care.

Gillette Pro glides razors are pricy, but the more you buy, the better deal it is. Plus those babies really take face hair off.

They claim to have made them last a month or longer now. I don't shave that often so they are great for me, but they really are a good razor.

I have an electric razor that I like, but don't like using it if any hair gets to long just because it pulls. Electric is great for a 5'oclock shadow but much longer and it starts to pull. And that's even with a pretty nice one. The trimmer/clipper on the back is always a nice feature though.

Blog Entries

Fysh...I was terrified when I saw the title of this threadthough you were asking if we prefered the electric chair or the " guillotine"http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine
    I'm with Ard once morethat's funny we have many things in common...except the mustacheGot a Braun 7000 series too and I'm very satisfied...I change the grid every year.

I've got a Braun 4000 series I think. I dont really know off hand. I HATE shaving but I get too hot in the face to have a beard year round so I trim it up. I cant do the steel blade razors unless I want to turn my face into a giant red flowing art project. i tried a few times but after everything was bleeding I gave up. The electric is alright, I just dispise shaving since it comes back by the end of the day anyway
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

My father had a Braun like Ard's. It was the cleaning solution where they stung ya. After he died I gave it to goodwill rather than use it myself.
    I couldn't afford the up-keep
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Paul, you must be shaving too often You can use plain alcohol to refill them with if you look to curb cost.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Must have been a different model then. This one had cartridges of the cleaner.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12