Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Day one of the America's Cup (sailing) and things didn't go as planned.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Lightbulb Day one of the America's Cup (sailing) and things didn't go as planned.

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Default Re: Day one of the America's Cup (sailing) and things didn't go as planned.

Amazing! I'll stick with boats that you fish off of!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Default Re: Day one of the America's Cup (sailing) and things didn't go as planned.

The really amazing thing is that 'boat' has a 70 foot tall mast and the on-board crew was able to tip the damned thing upright and keep on sailing.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    The really amazing thing is that 'boat' has a 70 foot tall mast and the on-board crew was able to tip the damned thing upright and keep on sailing.
    Fred: Pretty amazing that they were able to get that boat righted. Dang is that boat fast!
    Larry

Man, i love sailing. But i dont think the crew were alone in righting 'er.
    Look at the 54 second mark, there is a huge rope parallel to the water, tied to the port side...looks like they had some help from rescue crew.

The fact they recovered the time just shows how fast those machine are.
    Be interesting to know what cause the pitchpole....too fast into the corner??

"Be interesting to know what cause the pitchpole....too fast into the corner??"

Hazarding a guess here only. These long thin (and low slung) hulls may just not have enough buoyancy. Looks like they'd just come off a tack and onto a down wind run. Out goes the main sheet and the extra thrust was more than the boat could handle at that over the water speed.

Again, just a guess, but you can do the same thing coming down the back side of a big wave (power boat) with too much power on. (I.E 'bury the bow.)

Fred

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    "Be interesting to know what cause the pitchpole....too fast into the corner??"

Hazarding a guess here only. These long thin (and low slung) hulls may just not have enough buoyancy. Looks like they'd just come off a tack and onto a down wind run. Out goes the main sheet and the extra thrust was more than the boat could handle at that over the water speed.

Again, just a guess, but you can do the same thing coming down the back side of a big wave (power boat) with too much power on. (I.E 'bury the bow.)

Fred
    Fred: I also noticed how low in the water that boat sits, I'm guessing you are right, the extra push from the main sail probably caused the endo.

Larry
    Larry

FYI, in sailing a sheet is a rope
    i believe you mean out goes the spinnaker (attached to the spinnaker sheet) on a downwind run, although the main sail can also go out on the boom...

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    FYI, in sailing a sheet is a rope
    i believe you mean out goes the spinnaker (attached to the spinnaker sheet) on a downwind run, although the main sail can also go out on the boom...
    Correct-da-mondo there. In use, if memory serves, there are only six bits of 'cord' that are actually called 'rope.' Like the ships bell; can't remember the rest. Sailboat wise ("rope") everything else is called a sheet, 'stay,' etc., if it has anything to do with 'sail' control (that would include the mast(s).)

Odd part is, if not in actual use (rigged) it's still 'rope.'

"Look at the 54 second mark, there is a huge rope parallel to the water, tied to the port side...looks like they had some help from rescue crew." Went back and watched, watched, etc. My guess is the line you see was one of the 'sheets' from either the mail sail or front one. Don't think they were on the spinnaker yet; but that would have been the next step.

Edit: Actually if they had the spinnaker set those things provide a huge amount of 'lift' and doubtful they could have gone nose down.