Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting on without Husky is far harder than I knew, Sandy included.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Getting on without Husky is far harder than I knew, Sandy included.

As most of you know one of my Best Buddies (Husky) passed just after his 13th Birthday. Sitting here doing the needed search engine reseach for tomorrow's 'Here's what I think' and Sandy (my Yellow Lab) starts making huge chest deep woof/caughs.Up like a shot and he's asleep, dreaming.

By the leg-body action I know exactly where he is, exactly what he and Husky were doing. Another stagger off, flop in a chair and have a good fuccxing cry.

Save for the odd moment, the two had been together for 10 years. As had we three.

Frederick Evans
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting on without Husky is far harder than I knew, Sandy included.

Fred: Losing a dog that has been a family member for so long is really difficult. Our yellow Lab came down with pancreatic cancer when he was 12, that was a very tough thing to watch, so I know what you are going through.

Larry
    Larry

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Only people who love dogs (and for the life of me, I can't understand why there are people who don't) can truly understand what you are going through, Fred. Dogs exude love, loyalty, companship, they enrich our lives and set examples that a lot of human beings would do well to follow - and they don't ask for much in return. I'm sorry for your loss and will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for fond memories your way.
    John Squires

5. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Sorry about your dogs passing. I can relate, I lost my pal Max after 16yrs. I lasted about 2 months before looking for a rescue. I found Rufus the bloodhound as an unwanted pup & he adopted me. He can't replace Max but he kind of fills the hole in my heart. When I went to pick him up my wife expected me to come home with a bassethound & when I came home with a 20lb 7 wk old puppy she hit the roof. He's now 90 lbs @ 19 months, stuborn as a rock, & smarter than any dog I ever had & my wife's lap dog. If you're a dog person think about adopting an unwanted dog from a shelter. It'll never replace Husky, but it will help

Neil
    Neil
    fishn50@aol.com
    Remember to fill in the dash----

7. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

Fred,

I spent my life single until getting married 6 years ago. Yes there were itinerant domestic partners but for the bulk of life I was a single guy for 52 years. Dogs were my friends, my responsibility, and joy in life. I'll be telling bird dog stories until I die and each time I had to say goodbye to one of my best friends I was a different person for quite some time. Dogs are a form of love that we experience in our lifetimes that is different than any other. I hope that there is room in your heart and mind for another four legged friend as time passes. Until then love that Lab,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Sorry to hear that, my younger dog dreams like a fool all the time. I always wonder what she is doing. I cant imagin what will happen when either one of our dogs go, Im going to be a mess.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

11. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Thank you Gentlemen; read through this and teared up again ....

I think the adopt a dog is a good Plan A.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Fred sorry for your loss. I believe dogs bring out the best in people because they show more loyalty and love than any of us could. Ever since my Benny passed have opted not to have another. Thankfully all four of my children have dogs and I get dog sitting duty on a regular basis! They are in a better place!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Indeed Mr. B., indeed. One of the most striking reads I've laid eyes on was (to paraphrase):

'A dog is the only one that thinks more highly of you, than you. The Cat strongly disagree with you both.'

15. Likes theboz, stimulator2 liked this post

I really really feel for you Fred.My dogs are my best friends and always with me.

Dogs are truly mans best friends.They ask for nothing and give their all to you.

Sad news and I wish you all my best.chin up.Easy to say, not easy to do, I know.

Its one day I certainly dred and it will hit me very hard.I do hope its a long way away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast