Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon

Default Re: Bourbon

How in the world did I forget about Wild Turkey?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Buffalo Trace. I used to drink MM until I couldn't find a bottle of it when we were in Idaho Falls. Settled for Buffalo Trace and haven't gone back.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I'm going to find Buffalo Trace tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks.
    Edited to add I'm going to get Bulleit, also, and do a blind taste test.

I've am a long time bourbon drinker. There are some good ones out there.

Some hard to find and also expensive ones are:
    Pappy Van Winkle 15
    William Larue Weller from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection
    Eagle Rare from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection
    Parker Heritage
    These bourbons are very hard to find but worth the effort.

For Tennessee whiskey (please don't call it bourbon)
    George Dickel 12 or the Special reserve

Some excellent bourbons at a great price are 4 Roses. For everyday the 4 Roses Yellow label is hard to beat for a Rye flavor bourbon. For a more upscale experience try the 4 Roses Single Barrel or 4 Roses small batch. For something really special find the 4 Roses Limited Edition Single Barrel or Small batch. Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, the annual Old Forrester Birthday bourbon, and Evan Williams Single Barrel are all excellent.

For the Wheat based bourbons the Old Weller Antique is hard to beat. WL Weller 12 year old is super.

I also enjoy my malts and that's for another thread but I do want to mention an Irish whiskey that every whiskey drinker should try. I find it to be incredible on the stream. Redbreast 12 year old Irish whiskey runs about $50 a bottle and worth every penny IMHO.

Why do you not consider the Dickel no.12 a bourbon, but instead a Tennessee Whisky?

Arrow Re: Bourbon

Just get some George T. Stagg or Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Add water to your glass to bring to desired proof. Easily two of my favorite bourbons year after year.

Last night I did the blind tasting with Bulleit and Buffalo Trace.
    First off, I have to say I love the Bulleit bottle (old west elixir bottle from a medicine show).
    Both had a good color.
    Bulleit had a deeper fragrance, which I found interesting because the flavors were remarkably similar to me.
    I would give a slight edge to Bulleit. I've had better bourbons, but they've all been quite a bit more expensive.
    Bottom line: I could enjoy either one sitting around a campfire telling lies about the day's fishing.

8. Likes shotgunfly, thewalker1013 liked this post

I don't drink; am I hopeless at ever becoming a proper fly fisherman?!
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

10. Likes shotgunfly liked this post

Good choices all..Jefferson makes a very nice rye as well as a bourbon. Everyday drink is Wild Turkey. Basil Hayden another fave along with Woodford Reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by fysh View Post
    Why do you not consider the Dickel no.12 a bourbon, but instead a Tennessee Whisky?
    Just like Jack Daniels it is filtered through a charcoal bed. By law it is Tennessee Whiskey when it is so treated and not bourbon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast