Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeze dried meals....

Default Re: Freeze dried meals....

How about some of the different meals from Mountain House....are the breakfast ones any good?

ebay has some great prices on bulk, now I just need to find a couple others to split a large order with.

Blog Entries

I've tried a couple of the breakfast ones John, they aren't IHOP but they're easy

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I suppose with fresh Tortilla's and enough Salsa and cheese they'd be alright, eh?

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Oh yes, griddle on a light fire and do the eggs and sausage thing while you heat tortilla's, you're giving me ideas.

By the way Nancy got me a new smoker for Christmas, a Smoke Vault. It's big and I did a 20 pound turkey in it the other day to break it in. No fish but we bought 5 turkeys at Thanksgiving time. I will get fish this year.................... I don't know where I'll have to go for them but I'll get them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Don't forget the fried taters!

Fysh, you are hijacking your own thread, go make a sandwich and get your mind off food...

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

8. Likes mcnerney, fyshstykr liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fysh View Post
    I've since learned that a friend of mine a few times a year has "Mountain Home Night" for dinner, his kids get all kinds of crazy excited about it.

What meals did you have?

We want to try the Breakfast Burrito ones.
    John: I can't remember, but you know how camping goes, anything pretty much tastes good when you're hungry. I think we had pancakes for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and Mountain House meals for dinner except for one evening we caught a few fish for dinner. Dexter, the guy that owned the horses and gear did all the cooking, I did all the dish washing, but I do remember that he brought along some canned fruit (pears) and puddings for deserts in the evenings.
    Larry

10. Likes fredaevans liked this post

I do several multi-night campouts a year and take freeze dried and MREs.
    In my opinion Mountain House is the best freeze dried. I'm not a big fan of the Backpacker's Pantry, especially the breakfast. On the three and four night trips I'll take a few MREs also, freeze dried every night gets old, but I'd say Mountain House is usually tastier. The nice thing about MREs is that you get a side item, snacks, coffee, etc.

John, my favorites are the Lasagna with Meat Sauce, Beef Stew, and Beef Stroganoff with Noodles. The lasagna is better than some of the frozen stuff you get at the supermarket.
    The only breakfast one that I like is the Breakfast Skillet. Bring some tortillas and douse it in your favorite pepper sauce and it's not bad.
    Has anybody tried the ice cream? A buddy of mine always brings some, it's not frozen and looks like cotton candy.

I see some on the website that I can't find around here, that Chicken Alfredo
    and Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice sound interesting.

Also if you need to save space check out the Pro-Pack, they are vacuum packed to remove the air and take up a lot less space.

In two weeks I'm doing a five day trip down the Neches River in East Texas and I'm about to stock up on the freeze dried, your post was timely.
    "I don't go to the river to fish, but I do quite a bit of it while I'm there." - Riverbilly

12. Likes fyshstykr, mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12