Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wild Hog

Default Wild Hog

My son brought over two hind quarters from a wild pig he shot last fall. I smoked them on the Akorn. I put rub on one and nothing but apple juice on the other. They turned out great. I did two fatties for some friends as well.

" Are you happy? If not, why not?"

2. Likes dakotakid, theboz, jaybo41, mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Wild Hog

Quote Originally Posted by paymaster View Post
    My son brought over two hind quarters from a wild pig he shot last fall. I smoked them on the Akorn. I put rub on one and nothing but apple juice on the other. They turned out great. I did two fatties for some friends as well.

Glad I saw this after I ate! Awesome!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Paymaster how do you like the Akorn Smoker? And what's the deal with the smoke stone? My smoker is on it's last legs I did a batch of trout the other night and realized I can't patch any more holes! Us it durable and how is it on rust ? Looks pretty solid is the metal thick? Just want to pick your brain a little!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Looks a nice feed you have cooked I've already eaten however it makes me feel Hungry again as I also like Wild Pork when The Wheat Harvest is on especially the Legs & The Back Straps done in The Camp Oven.
    Sometimes if there's a few of we might Roast The whole Pig on a Spit.
    We also usually have a couple of weeks away each year chasing Wild Pork to fill our Freezers.
    We were always going to build a Smoker as we have no shortage of Australian Hardwoods which are really good for smoking nearly any type of meat.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Glad I saw this after I ate! Awesome!

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Paymaster how do you like the Akorn Smoker? And what's the deal with the smoke stone? My smoker is on it's last legs I did a batch of trout the other night and realized I can't patch any more holes! Us it durable and how is it on rust ? Looks pretty solid is the metal thick? Just want to pick your brain a little!
    I love mine. Once you get one and figure out how to set the vents to cook the way you want, you will too, I bet. As to the stone. Inside thye Akorn is a bracket that a heat deffuser would fit on. Heat defussers protect the meat in a low and slow cook from burning from the heat of sitting directly over the coals. I use a weber grill grate, and a 15" aluminum pie pan from Hobby Lobby. I put an inch or so of sand in the pan and cover the pan with foil and set it upon the weber rack. This accomplished a few things. I catches drippings from the meat, and the sand helps maintain a constant temp( heat sink ) and the whole thing deffuses the heat. The Akorn is very well built and is made of insulated steel.
    " Are you happy? If not, why not?"

6. Likes mcnerney, theboz liked this post
    Blog Entries

Wow, does that look great, I just ate breakfast and now your making me hungry!
    Larry

I'm hungry! Hoping to get me a wild hog here soon!
    Hello, My name is child of the one true King!