Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Default Occam's razor and car repair

I had a front end noise that started on my way home. Only happened above ~30 mph. Sounded like a rock between the rotor and the shield for same. I tore the front wheel and brake assembly all apart, including the rotor. No obvious problems and the noise persisted. I finally got under the car and lo and behold the bottom engine cover had worked loose of the spoiler and was just hanging down in the front. Problem solved.

It's got me to thinking - why do I go after complex solutions when the simple ones are usually the real fix? This does apply to fly fishing somehow - keep it simple, which I usually don't do.

And, of course, it's my wife's birthday and we had planned on going to dinner. Not. But that's going to happen tomorrow.

Hope this isn't too far off-topic and thanks for reading.

Bob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Occam's razor and car repair

Bob: That is a good life lesson, we all seem to overlook the simple things and dive into the the more complex issues. Glad you figured out the issue you were having. I'm sure your wife will understand, have a great time tomorrow!

Larry
    Larry

3. Likes lacanadio liked this post

You're not alone, Bob. I lost count of the things I took apart and put together on my pickup before I found the pebble inside the left rear hubcap. Sure makes a guy humble
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

5. Likes lacanadio liked this post

I had one of those kinda problems on my 93 Chev 3/4 ton. Hellish noise, sounded just like a grindy wheel bearing or brake. Had it to the tire and wheel dudes three times. I don't know how or why, but it turned out to be the chrome trim rings on the rear wheels. Took 'em off, put 'em back on, noise went away. weird, huh?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

7. Likes lacanadio liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have been blessed with bad hearing and don't have any of the problems you guys are experiencing.

All the years of loud noises have caught up to me, I can hear a drag on a reel just fine so I don't think it's real bad. However, if my truck were making anything less than a racket, I would never notice. For this reason I have Nancy drive it every now and then to check things out

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes yonder, lacanadio, siege, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

One of the hard lesson I had more than several opportunities to learn: If I do not actually look at what I am seeing with an open, active mind, the obvious only becomes apparent with hind-site.

(I feel for you. I once dropped the engine, trans, axles, strus, hubs, brakes and front sub-frame to find a heat shield rattle. - Yes, disconnect exhaust and intake, disconnect engine from car, remove top strut mount and EVERYTHING came out the bottom front of the car.)
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

11. Likes lacanadio liked this post

Smile Re: Occam's razor and car repair

It may be that your car is broken seriously, and now you have to fix it. In my opinion firstly you should try to do it by yourself

Sounds about like a lot of the technicians I work with, over time complacency becomes the normal as well if it does this it has to be that mentality then guys spend 2-3x'x as long on a job trying to solve the issue instead of starting with a fresh mind each time.

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Which reminds me .... I need to have the fan belt on the Jeep checked out ... I suspect it's well past its 'expire date.' Needs an oil change for a Xmas Prezzie? Probably.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"