Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Jerky

Default Jerky

With most of my rivers flowing slush for the next few days, I've decided to try my hand at dehydrating some beef jerky.

Kinda looking for some tips on marinades and meat selections.

For starters I used per sliced thin cuts of bottom round.

Marinade consisted of no exact amounts of the following:

Soy sauce
    Liquid smoke
    Brown sugar
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder

First the first go around I feel it came out ok, but I set it overnight and woke up and it was a bit too dry, flavor was alright though. Meat was a little thin too. I'd still be interested in some preferred meat cuts and maybe some to die for marinades or rubs.

2. Likes mcnerney, yonder liked this post

Default Re: Jerky

My favorites are the pre-mixed seasonings from High Mountain company - readily available from Gander Mtn, Mill's Fleet, etc. I've never made beef jerky with it - only venison and wild turkey - but I'm sure it would be good. For venison, roasts from the front or hind quarters work best, but some smaller trimmings from other areas work fine as long it's not too fatty or tough.

It sounds like you've run across a couple of common problems - drying it out too much (done that many times drying it during the night with a timer). It seems to work best to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen - thawed just enough to cut, but still pretty rigid. Approx 1/4" thick before you dehydrate it works best.

The instructions will include guidelines for making jerky with ground meat and a "Jerky Shooter". This doesn't seem quite as tasty as using whole meat, but can be a nice way to use up ground scraps.

Jerky is a great snack to take along on fishing or hiking trips - good luck!

ryan

4. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Good recipe! I only make venison jerky and I marinade it in red wine. After marinating for a day or two I add adobo , worstedhire sauce, liquid smoke and teriyaki then put it in the dehydrator! Like to make it thick so its more chewy!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

6. Likes buddhist_palm liked this post

I use beef seasoned with soy sauce and coarse black pepper, or just teriaki marinade. Then it goes in the smoker 'til done. I've been told that smoked jerky has a better shelf life, but we have never had any around long enough to find out.
    The better the meat to start with, the better your finished product will be. Dried slower, you will get a more tender product. Remember, don't over season, it takes 10 pounds of meat to make one pound of jerky. You lose all that moisture, but the flavorings get more intense.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Quote Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
    It sounds like you've run across a couple of common problems - drying it out too much (done that many times drying it during the night with a timer). It seems to work best to slice the meat when it's still partially frozen - thawed just enough to cut, but still pretty rigid. Approx 1/4" thick before you dehydrate it works best.
    Yeah, even at 7 hours of sleep i feel like i missed pulling it by 2 hours. It was so thin in the pre-sliced package i bought. I'm gonna cut my own this next time

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    I add adobo
    now thats what im missing right there... nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    Then it goes in the smoker 'til done.
    this is how my buddy throws down on jerky. he makes a mean bbq flavored jerky on the smoker. he's done a lot of meat types as well in this fashion. my favorite is when he makes the goose. he says its too gamey for him and i end up with the whole batch!

I found bacon jerky at a gas station/store last friday.
    Okiemountaineer