Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Exotic wood

Default Exotic wood

My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner with a nice lady friend of ours down the street. I found myself the only male at a table with 6 ladies. Uh... 6 middle aged ladies drinking LOTS of wine. I mostly just listened but every once in a while I contributed a worthless little nugget of conversation. The lady hosting the dinner, at one point says, "Jay makes beautiful things from wood!" OK, so now the ball's in my court and I'm gonna dazzle these damsels with some knowledge. Well, I made the mistake of using the term "Exotic Wood". It was followed by a ripple of giggles around the table. Next thing I know, we arent talking about wood anymore... Well not wood in its correct context. LOL OH NO! I sat there with a red face listening to these well traveled, upper class "ladies" comparing stories of nude beaches in the medeteranian where the term "exotic wood" Among other things, was used loosely. Then "morning wood". Followed by other terms that did not improve the color of my face. As this tangent subsided, a lady I just met looks me square in the eyes and says. "So Jay, tell us about YOUR exotic wood" This was met with a wicked round of hyena like laughter... Good times... Good times!
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

2. Likes mcnerney, pa dave, littledavid123 liked this post

Default Re: Exotic wood

Well, Jay, it coudda' been worse. Flies, rods, soft tippets, fast action, oh my... the list just goes on....
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

4. Likes jbird, mcnerney, pa dave, littledavid123 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jay: That was pretty funny, I can just see you sitting there squirming in your chair when that gal says "so tell us about YOUR exotic wood"!

Larry
    Larry

6. Likes jbird liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    Well, Jay, it coudda' been worse. Flies, rods, soft tippets, fast action, oh my... the list just goes on....
    I did baffle them with BS earlier in the evening on the finer points of flyfishing. That was well before the wine flowed freely.
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

8. Likes siege, mcnerney liked this post

That's hilarious.

When I bought my first spey rod I immediately put it together and was giving it a wiggle in the living room. When my wife raised her eyebrow at a thirteen foot fly rod coming dangerously close to lamps and plants and decorations, I asked "Hey, baby, want to get your hands on my double handed rod?"

She didn't.

Scott

Should've showed them how far your 9'er shoots... Line

I am going to stay out of this, just way to many possibilities to get in trouble.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

That's a great story! But that's as far as I'm willing to go discussing it!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser