Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 'Possums

Default 'Possums

Lately, when the cats come in to get out of the polar vortex, they often have a friend that wants to come in with them

Turns out that opossums are a lot more interesting than they look

Live Weird, Die Young: The Virginia Opossum | Northern Woodlands Magazine
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes mcnerney, Ard, yonder liked this post

Default Re: 'Possums

Cool post Rip! I knew that they were resistant to rabies virus, but didn't know about their resistance to snake venom.

When my kids were very young, we had one that came around & would appear to be playing with the kids thru the glass at a sliding glass door. We didn't have any pets around back then, so would leave some food out for it once we saw it hanging around & that seemed to be healthy. It only showed up at night, and as long as we stayed in the house it didn't appear to be alarmed by our presence. Over the years I've had them get into my garage & stay awhile. Very adaptive animals.

When I did a lot of trapping I caught them quite often. Not a bad fur for fly tying either. The underfur makes excellent dubbing & the fur with some of that underfur removed makes nice wings on small streamers. I've used it on Bonefish type patterns too. The black tips adds a different look to them & the fur is easily dyed. Makes some interesting Zonker strips too if the hide is tanned.

I've tried many types of meats from wild critters I've hunted or trapped, and have heard the meats from opossums is good, but because they have a less than favorable smell to them, it's one animal I never had the desire to eat.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Rip: Very interesting article, thanks for sharing!

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

That was full of things I didn't know about them. They were fairly common in Noth Central Pennsylvania all my life there.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes siege liked this post

My brother was camping with his 4 yr old son and sometime during the night he awoke to his son hollering "dad dad look, it's the ugliest cat I ever saw". Gotta love kids...

If you ever see one crawling out of a dead cow it will change your mind about eating one.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

10. Likes siege liked this post

If you ever see one crawling out of a dead cow it will change your mind about eating one.
    I've heard that before also & another reason I never tried eating them!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

When I lived in Miami, one snuck into our house one night as we opened the door to leave, and it disappeared. It chewed the insulation off the wires on the lamps and extension cords, for 2 days since there was not much else to eat. Any food left out got ants in it so every thing stayed in the refrigerator. It's last supper, so to speak, was a gob of extra chunky Jif peanut butter, which went on the trigger of a big rat trap.
    And yes, they do stink. I threw the trap out with the 'possom, not worth cleaning it up.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

13. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    My brother was camping with his 4 yr old son and sometime during the night he awoke to his son hollering "dad dad look, it's the ugliest cat I ever saw". Gotta love kids...

Dave
    Agree 100 % !! Never saw the cow thing but two dead and bloated deer were on the bank of the Delaware and one had the skinniest tail I had ever seen (looking for bucktail for tying) . Then the tailend of the Whitetail came to life! Guess what crawled out? Creepy!
    Great article Rip !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs down Re: 'Possums

Only animal I ever learned to 'hate.' Set of teeth followed by a large body.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"