Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Default I can't believe he is gone

This won't affect some of you I'm sure, but I just heard that the great Merle Haggard died today, and today is also his birthday.

Historical fact about Merle is when Johnny Cash did his concert in San Quinton, Merle was an inmate there at the time. Merle was truly inspired by Johnny, and when Merle was released and went into the music business, Johnny became one of his best friends.

Merle truly lived the country music scene. I will miss him and his songs. I saw him in Boulder once, and all I can say is what a wonderful person he was.

A true American Icon.

merle haggard - Bing video
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

2. Likes 120 grain, cab liked this post

Default Re: I can't believe he is gone

Merle is many years older than me, but even as a young lad I always enjoyed his music, and seeing him live. I've seen many a big name artist, but Merle Haggard rose above nearly all the rest insofar as you just felt that you were truly in the presence of a legend when you listened to him play and sing.

RIP, Mr. Haggard.

4. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

I tell my friends that 95% of the music of any genre is garbage, but if that's the genre you love, you probably like 95% of it anyway. Conversely, 5% of any genre is excellent, and even if it's not "your" genre, you'll probably like it. Merle Haggard was part of that 5%.

6. Likes nevadanstig, scotty macfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
    I tell my friends that 95% of the music of any genre is garbage, but if that's the genre you love, you probably like 95% of it anyway. Conversely, 5% of any genre is excellent, and even if it's not "your" genre, you'll probably like it. Merle Haggard was part of that 5%.
    I'm not what you'd call a big C&W fan, but good is good.

I saw Merle Haggard play just once. Opryland, 1978
    He was leading a reunion of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys for a TV show taping and it was fantastic.
    You can't not like Texas Swing
    In the Grand Ole Opry tradition, after the set Merle invited fans to meet him for autographs at "stage left"
    He exited "stage right" and wasn't seen again
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Saw him in concert many years ago. A great loss.

So many of his songs are my favorites. Others may disagree, but I always considered this his theme song.

steve

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE[/ame]
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

9. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

Merle Haggard grew up in Oildale, CA and after becoming successful, built a home just off Hwy 178, at the entrance to Kern River Canyon. Passed it many times on the way up to the Kern River - which Merle loved to fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jlVdC4qxsQ

He was one of my favorite, real C&W singers...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

11. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

Haggard still struggles with how to explain "Okie." "The reason I wrote it was because I was dumb as a rock," he told a crowd recently.

"I didn't know anything about marijuana back then," Haggard told RS last year and advocated for marijuana, calling it, "one of the most fantastic things in the world."
    [ame]http://youtu.be/tuMDG5RvdXs[/ame]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

13. Likes kyhick liked this post

A guy I know bought a NRX LP 4wt fished it twice hated it got pissed off at it yesterday, and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said sure but I ain't got that kinda money, so he said how much you got in your pocket, and I looked told him $130.00. He said ok follow me to the car for the tube and sock. When I got home I found out Merle had died, and since it's the pretty green rod I decided my new rod needed a name "The Hag" Last time I shed some tears over a artist was good old S.R.V. Sat down last night with some beers and jammed on some tunes what a bummer with a happy ending. A new rod with a great name

15. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I'm not what you'd call a big C&W fan, but good is good.

I saw Merle Haggard play just once. Opryland, 1978
    He was leading a reunion of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys for a TV show taping and it was fantastic.
    You can't not like Texas Swing
    In the Grand Ole Opry tradition, after the set Merle invited fans to meet him for autographs at "stage left"
    He exited "stage right" and wasn't seen again

Who's left was it, his or the audience.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.