Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  73
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The rudeness just keeps getting better.

I think if you fish long enough, you'll meet one of them. Something to do with percentages. Not surprisingly, they sometimes run in packs. Sometimes you find out you happened to catch what is usually a good person, at the worst time in his life.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

2. Likes ia_trouter, spm, hairwing530 liked this post

Just some thoughts from an old man, I'm 75 and was taught by my parents that the universe did not resolve around me when I was a child. My father told me once that people who do not respect the rights of others do not respect themselves. Unfortunately, our society for the last 50 years has preached the "ME FIRST" philosophy; this is the result.
    barham

Quote Originally Posted by barham View Post
    Just some thoughts from an old man, I'm 75 and was taught by my parents that the universe did not resolve around me when I was a child. My father told me once that people who do not respect the rights of others do not respect themselves. Unfortunately, our society for the last 50 years has preached the "ME FIRST" philosophy; this is the result.
    barham
    For the sake of respectful discussion my parents raised me to be respectful more recently than 50 years ago. As did my school teachers and my Sunday school teachers. We do appear to be fading as a society though the last few decades.

I'll go along with the last few posters. Folks have bad days and the average Iowa Driftless fisherman you run across is likely to be very friendly. He might crowd you some but our water is limited. I have a nice conversation with a live-bait chucker most every trip. Just friends I never met before. I consider myself the intruder on easy to access stocked water and just walk a little farther since I am able. Took me 40 years to run across somebody with a significant personality disorder on the water. Ran across foolishness in Alaska last year too so the trend isn't good for me.

5. Likes spm, hairwing530, mridenour, ejsell liked this post

Just because one CAN be an a-hole doesn't mean one should.

People have bad days, but what was done had little to do with bad days. Just someone who wanted to make things tough on someone else because they could.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

7. Likes ia_trouter, ejsell, spm, hairwing530 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

'Bad Experiences' have been very few and far apart for me ... I can work with that. The worst was during the Fly Only Season on the upper Rogue River.

Group of Hispanic's walked out on the beach, no problem with me as I'd finished fishing the run (zip to show for it). Set up their gear and much of it illegal (bait, spinners, spoons, etc). Assuming they didn't bother to read the Reg's I walked up to explain they were fishing with illegal equipment and best change.

Got a pile of @@@@@! This did not make me a Happy Camper. On the way off the beach met a young family setting up to fish ... same thing. Told them about the Reg's and he/I went through their gear and, with mine, got him legally set up.

Next stop was the local fire station (right across from the parking lot) and asked to use their phone. Reporting violation actually has a seperate 800 number here in Oregon and you're reporting to the Oregon State Police. Fire crew and I stood in the parking lot sipping coffee ......

Less than 20 minutes later 'cruiser' pulls up ... within a few minutes later there were FOUR! Off they march .... a few minutes later SIX 'purps' were in handcuffs! Off to jail, their equipment confiscated as well as their car(s).

High Five's all around.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Have a GoPro mounted prominently on you where other people can see it. It changes their attitude. If they don't seem to notice, tell them you are filming them so you can remember them forever.

We asked a guy if we could GoPro his salmon snagging technique and he left the river quietly. If we had just said something and there were no cameras, we would have only gotten the finger...lol.

There would have been no license plate notes and threats of cops if your new-found idiot friend had thought he was on camera the whole time.

10. Likes ia_trouter, spm, ejsell, wjl, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    Have a GoPro mounted prominently on you where other people can see it. It changes their attitude. If they don't seem to notice, tell them you are filming them so you can remember them forever.

We asked a guy if we could GoPro his salmon snagging technique and he left the river quietly. If we had just said something and there were no cameras, we would have only gotten the finger...lol.

There would have been no license plate notes and threats of cops if your new-found idiot friend had thought he was on camera the whole time.
    So what you're saying Mike is next time I should bear spray everybody on the dock unless they offer to tether my boat off. (they aren't supposed to be there anyone right?). Get it all on a GoPro and post a trip thread here with a video?

Sometimes my comprehension is poor. I don't want to mess this up so thought I should get clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    So what you're saying Mike is next time I should bear spray everybody on the dock unless they offer to tether my boat off. (they aren't supposed to be there anyone right?). Get it all on a GoPro and post a trip thread here with a video?

Sometimes my comprehension is poor. I don't want to mess this up so thought I should get clarification.
    That's not what I meant but it would be entertaining! It would do great on YouTube...lol.

13. Likes ia_trouter, fredaevans, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12