Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: Fishing Terminology

Grunion Run : a batch of novice fishermen all hitting the water together for the first time. Usually occurs right after a group casting class. Often seen carpooling.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Freestone river : a peach of a stream

Vegetarian : old Native American term for a poor hunter or fisherman.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

4. Likes Nearenuf liked this post
    Blog Entries

I can't bring myself to read the whole thread to see if these were added but...........

Sweep - drawing up your line in the first stage of a Spey cast.
    Poke - a very useful Spey casting technique especially for redirecting a cast or fixing a sweep that went too far.
    Anchor - usually not quite what it sounds like but another part of a Spey cast.
    Clicker - a type of check system on a fly reel, forerunner of the disc drag.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Cool thread. Took a quick look through and I don't think these were in there...

--Rapala... A trout so small, that it looks like it should have a plastic lip and two treble hooks hanging off of it.

--Hole Jumper... A fellow angler that violates that invisible "fishing halo" around you and jumps in to start fishing.

--Cookie Cutter... Typical size fish for the body of water that you're fishing.

--Tree Frog... Snagging a fly up in a tree.

--The Curse... Catching a fish on the first cast. Also, some anglers refer to Trico's as the Black Curse.

--Buggy Whipping... First time out you'll see anglers that are starting their 2nd back cast before their 1st forward stroke un-rolls.

--Hacker... A beginner, fishing like a beginner (completely unfair tag... but I hear it and use it).

--Bucket... Tiny plunge pool tucked behind a rock in fast water.

--Hawg... Big, big fish.

--Tight Lines!... The angler's version of "good luck!"

--Peemer... An annoying "hipster" term for PMD's (like Pale Morning Dun needed a second stage of abbreviation).
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

8. Likes siege, Nearenuf liked this post
    Blog Entries

Stinger - a small hook connected to a

Shank - this is used for tying articulated streamers; it uses the 'Stinger hook' above.

In The Round - term to describe flies tied Intruder style, having dressings in a 360* fashion about the 'shank'; from above

I learn new terms regularly these days.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

10. Likes Nearenuf liked this post

Talking Re: Fishing Terminology

I've got some old American Angler magazines out and in the March/April 1996 issue there's some fly fishing terms as defined by the late great Bill Tapply. Here's a sample.

Backing.... A financial term that refers to what most anglers need if they intend to take a fly-fishing vacation in Alaska, Argentina, Christmas Island, or New Zealand. Because our fly-fishing roots are in Great Britain, we still use terms borrowed from the British monetary system to describe financial aid; e.g. 20-pound backing (which, of course, is too light for most trips)

Carp..... Typical communication mode of non-fishing spouses

Crappie.... How the fishing usually is when you're there, how it allegedly wasn't the week before you arrived, and how it won't be the week after you leave. This sort of fishing is generally a waste of "backing"

Cutthroat.... What tournament bass fishing is

Double Haul..... Two armloads of antique cane rods, English reels, full-dress salmon flies, and first-edition angling books purchased at a garage sale from an elderly widow happy to take a hundred bucks from someone willing to lug all that old junk away. A Single Haul, of course, is one arm load

Jig.... What's up when you stagger home with an empty creel after a long day you claim was devoted to fishing, and your spouse smells the 100-proof Old Hipboot on your breathe

Nymph.... It's an immature form of an aquatic insect, for heaven sake. This is a family magazine

Wet Fly..... What you get when you wade too deep.

Yellow Perch.... A lemon colored barstool, always a prime vantage point from which to locate good fishing waters
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes Ard, stenacron, siege, Nearenuf, lv2nymph liked this post
    mridenour Guest

Leroy- as in Bad Bad Leroy Brown Trout

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I've got some old American Angler magazines out and in the March/April 1996 issue there's some fly fishing terms as defined by the late great Bill Tapply. Here's a sample.

Backing.... A financial term that refers to what most anglers need if they intend to take a fly-fishing vacation in Alaska, Argentina, Christmas Island, or New Zealand. Because our fly-fishing roots are in Great Britain, we still use terms borrowed from the British monetary system to describe financial aid; e.g. 20-pound backing (which, of course, is too light for most trips)

Carp..... Typical communication mode of non-fishing spouses

Crappie.... How the fishing usually is when you're there, how it allegedly wasn't the week before you arrived, and how it won't be the week after you leave. This sort of fishing is generally a waste of "backing"

Cutthroat.... What tournament bass fishing is

Double Haul..... Two armloads of antique cane rods, English reels, full-dress salmon flies, and first-edition angling books purchased at a garage sale from an elderly widow happy to take a hundred bucks from someone willing to lug all that old junk away. A Single Haul, of course, is one arm load

Jig.... What's up when you stagger home with an empty creel after a long day you claim was devoted to fishing, and your spouse smells the 100-proof Old Hipboot on your breathe

Nymph.... It's an immature form of an aquatic insect, for heaven sake. This is a family magazine

Wet Fly..... What you get when you wade too deep.

Yellow Perch.... A lemon colored barstool, always a prime vantage point from which to locate good fishing waters
    Worth repeating!

A "Jonah" is a person who is bad luck. (He probably brings bananas)
    Nearenuf

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.

Fluke You might catch any number of, say, trout or bluegills but if you only catch one fish in an outing, it's generally a fluke.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast