Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Lost A Knife This Year?

Blog Entries

Default Have You Lost A Knife This Year?

If you have then you may feel the same way I did just last week. I'm pretty good with keeping track of things, especially my knives but stuff happens. I lost one about three years ago while running a creek that got so narrow I had to bail out and drag my boat around a tight turn / gravel bar combo. You had to be there to appreciate it, in the melee I somehow lost my Gerber speed blade with the spear point that is down around 4 O clock in the picture below. That was tough because I had that knife before I moved up here and it survived a lot but not Gagnan Creek.

As if that weren't enough to last for years I lost another last Monday while clearing brush out at the cabin. I was using a Stihl FS-240 weed saw with the double shoulder harness, they have a large hip plate where the saw mounts. I'm right handed and mount the saw on my right side............ think knife with pocket clip in right side pocket of jeans.......... Problem there huh?

At some point the hip plate must have hooked the clip of the Osborn Axis 904 (green aluminum scales) in the picture at ten O clock

This is definitely getting more expensive and that was my every day carry for the past 8 years!

Have you lost one lately?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Default Re: Have You Lost A Knife This Year?

I always carry a little Case three bladed pocket knife my daughter gave me. Every once in a while, I misplace it and then remember where I left it.

My godfather is a knife maker that makes knives from old spring steel like Ford Model T leaf springs. He's made two fixed blade knives for me and I usually have one on my belt when I'm in the wilder parts of the lower 48. Both are good for field dressing game animals and I'd hate to loose either.

One time hunting in Colorado, I found an old hunting knife just off a trail. I'm thinking it bounced off a pack horse or maybe someone took it off for a break and then forgot about it. The leather sheaf was rotted away and the handle was gone expect for the metal. It had been out there for a long time. I think it was a Western. I gave it to my dad. He cleaned it up and put on a new handle. I found a dive knife on the bottom once back when I scuba dived. And a Tag Heuer dive watch on a different dive. I've found other knives over the years just laying on the ground, but nothing ever very good.

3. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

That Tag dive watch should have been good yet, did you try it to see if it still worked?

By the time I realized my Osborn was missing I had covered a pretty good amount of really rough terrain. It was last Monday and there was still a large patch of the hill that is on the lake front at the cabin that was not cut & cleared. When I say rough I mean rough but the bush growth here isn't troubled by rough land, it grows like crazy and was 5 foot tall. SO I had went and put on the harness - started the machine and clipped onto the hip plate. While cutting I was doing all sorts of maneuvers with the power tool. The use that the thing gets out there is nothing like what a demo video would look like, not at all..............

By the time I realized the knife was gone I had laid down a lot of brush. I did a walk around trying the grid the hill as I went. No knife. Next step was to go get the old metal detector and try to cover all the areas I had worked. No joy there either. There's a slight chance that in the spring after the snow has packed the cut bush and high grasses flat that maybe I'll be able to find it. It's aluminum and stainless steel so if found there will be a chance I could return it to Benchmade for rehab.

I replaced it already. Almost had to because I use a knife almost every single day of my life. The lost knife was so thin, light, strong and sharp I knew that I wasn't going to like a bulkier model even though I have several to chose from.

Like any good gear junkie I upgraded.

I sprang for the 904-1 the carbon fiber model of the aluminum 904.

Thin, even lighter and sharp as a knife, my first official action with it was to remove the sticker from the blade and then as I was wiping the residual glue off the blade I sliced the index finger of my left hand What an idiot!

it was just a tiny cut but a reminder of why I felt the need to get another, these things are deadly sharp. You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be no careless activities undertaken with that thing clipped onto my pocket.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

I rarely have the need to carry a fixed blade knife but feel naked without a pocket knife well, in my pocket. I lose one or two a year and it frustrates me to no end. It's not being careless and leaving them lay about as that's something I just don't do. I don't know if I'm dragging them out of my pocket while fishing for car keys and since I'm always parked out in the pasture or near the barn there isn't the sound of it hitting the grass. Maybe they are slipping out when down on the ground working on something? Point being I have no clue as to how they disappear.

I prefer a Swiss Army specifically for the scissors and awl but the oilfield gives away enough Case knives to keep up with my losses so that's my mainstay. I keep a Leatherman in my car, bedroom and barn and in 13 years have never lost one.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

6. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    That Tag dive watch should have been good yet, did you try it to see if it still worked?
    Yes, I was still ticking. Couldn't have been down there for too long. I remember it sitting on the coral sand bottom and not really being covered up with sand. It had a little wear on it, but I think that was from daily use. I think we were in the Cayman Islands or maybe Ambregris Caye. It's been a while. I was 18-19 years old. My dad and I used to dive together. It's a black and gold model. Dad still has it. Still works as far as I know. Those aren't cheap watches.

8. Likes mcnerney, Ard, cpiercem liked this post

yes I have. 2 of them. Kershaw Leeks like the one at 7:00 in your pic. Love the knife, just can't seem to hold onto them
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

10. Likes Ard liked this post

My favorite knife, a benchmade that they don't make any more, was mia for a bit but showed up this weekend! (In my fishing vest where I stashed it to be safe...imagine that Have You Lost A Knife This Year?). This is the second one of this model which I got lucky and found on the auction site after losing the original.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

12. Likes Ard liked this post

I lost one at the airport in Anchorage last month. Apparently you aren't supposed to have them in your carry on bag.

14. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Airport, carry on bag........................ yep.

And Dave,

I don't know why I don't carry that Kershaw, light, thin, fast blade, what's not to like? It's still new.

My first Leatherman was a gift from my kids, too. It was lost from the inside pocket of my waders when I rolled the top down out in the field duck hunting. It may have been the first time the tool left the house.
    Last edited by JoJer; 10-16-2017 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Caps.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

17. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast