New OPST Rods

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I had a chance to spend some time with the #8 wt OPST prototype with a 400 grain commando head, with my reel and line on the rod with Ed and Dave. I really liked the rod but its different beast. I`m used to Fast Sage two handed rods and I wasn't there to show Ed and Dave anything, open ears and just learn. Its a cannon with just a bit more mid flex and its easier to load and it fires laser loops with a T-11 2.5-7.5 mow tip. (my standard steelhead tip)

Its Ed`s rod and watching him cast it was like HOLY COW! What is cool is that its a new different rod, its own thing. The rod business is tough, but I think they are going to do well. I wish OPST the best. I could fish that rod and be very happy, but I already have Sages.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I had a chance to spend some time with the #8 wt OPST prototype with a 400 grain commando head, with my reel and line on the rod with Ed and Dave. I really liked the rod but its different beast. I`m used to Fast Sage two handed rods and I wasn't there to show Ed and Dave anything, open ears and just learn. Its a cannon with just a bit more mid flex and its easier to load and it fires laser loops with a T-11 2.5-7.5 mow tip. (my standard steelhead tip)

Its Ed`s rod and watching him cast it was like HOLY COW! What is cool is that its a new different rod, its own thing. The rod business is tough, but I think they are going to do well. I wish OPST the best. I could fish that rod and be very happy, but I already have Sages.
Reading Steve's remarks and now I'm interested , Anyone else dabble with these sticks , maybe the #3 ?

flav

Reaction score
I've only picked up and wiggled the 7 and 8 weights in one of my my local shops, but haven't cast any of them. They had a nice smooth, deep flexing action and really nice components. The shop owner has been fishing one since last fall, and feels they are the nicest casting rods he has used and his other rods now collect dust most of the time.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Reading Steve's remarks and now I'm interested , Anyone else dabble with these sticks , maybe the #3 ?
Well my bud from Duluth is fishing a 7110 over his sage one that says something. I prefer faster sage but that does not take away the fact that they are nice and really smooth casting.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Well my bud from Duluth is fishing a 7110 over his sage one that says something. I prefer faster sage but that does not take away the fact that they are nice and really smooth casting.
I like the idea that they are very different and I'm willing to give it a try , hopefully at an event next year......something to look forward to....

jddietrich

Reaction score
I too have great interest in the 3wt. Few reviews, at that price point I'd want one in my hands before making a decision.

Mpk1996

Reaction score
I had looked at that one. still might pick one up. they look interesting. I think i like that length rod for sure