getting my first Skagit line for 9ft4wt

okaloosa

Reaction score
I am pretty excited. after over 50 yrs of conventional flyfishing I decided I needed a change.
The reason is the tailwaters I fish can be fantastic one moment for #6 and #8 streamers, and the next moment
#24 drys....2 rods is not an option....so I figure my 9ft4wt Loomis GLX or my 10ft4wtHardy Demon, both single handed rods,
with an integrated OPST Commando 175gr with 5 ft heads would be perfect for swinging weighted flies for trout that average 16 to 22 inches
in my favorite water that averages 40 to 70ft wide and then just change reels (WF Rio Gold) for a midge or BWO hatch.....
I do notice that a lot of videos showing microskagit fishing employ softer glass rods especially in the 7-7 1/2 ft range. Hopefully my rods are not too fast for what I want to do...
any advice appreciated!

flav

Reaction score
I fish pretty much exactly what you're talking about. I use a 175 grain OPST commando smooth with 5 foot poly leaders on my 9ft 4wt. I've used it on both a medium fast and a fast action rod and both cast nicely, no need to go with fiberglass or something really slow. I'd use it on the GLX, at least to start, but once you get it down don't be afraid to try it on that Hardy.
It's great to be able to easily chuck streamers most guys use a 7 weight for, but have the pleasure of fighting a fish on a rod more appropriate to the size of the fish your after. I hope you like the line, it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get it down it's a very easy and fun way to cast. It's very easy to try and shoot for the horizon with these lines, but 40-60 feet is their sweet spot, and with almost no effort. You can go for more, but that's all about technique, not force.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I fish pretty much exactly what you're talking about. I use a 175 grain OPST commando smooth with 5 foot poly leaders on my 9ft 4wt. I've used it on both a medium fast and a fast action rod and both cast nicely, no need to go with fiberglass or something really slow. I'd use it on the GLX, at least to start, but once you get it down don't be afraid to try it on that Hardy.
It's great to be able to easily chuck streamers most guys use a 7 weight for, but have the pleasure of fighting a fish on a rod more appropriate to the size of the fish your after. I hope you like the line, it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get it down it's a very easy and fun way to cast. It's very easy to try and shoot for the horizon with these lines, but 40-60 feet is their sweet spot, and with almost no effort. You can go for more, but that's all about technique, not force.
Thanks for the encouraging reply. the high banks with their prolific thistle growth and high winds make over hand casting difficult.....and I like to cover too much ground to haul two rods...
do you use the AIRFLO polyleaders or OPST?

The op

Reaction score
Airfllo polyleaders are fine for the light rods.
I like to keep a ratio from rear of head to fly of 2.5 to 2.75 times rod length,eg for 10 ft rod,12ft head,10 ft polyleader and 3ft tippet =25ft,a ratio of 2.5.

I find the 2.75 ratio better for faster graphite and 2.5 better for glass or slow graphite.

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
I have a similar set-up too, except I have the OPST head and Lazer line not the Smooth version. Also, my 4wt is an 8'6", it is a fast rod. I keep a reel spooled with Rio Gold for dries and hatches when trout fishing.

ghostrider408

Swing one for a mean one
Reaction score
I do what thirdcoaststeelheader does as well. I fish either a Sage One 490 or a Sage ZXL 590 with an Airflo Scout 180 grain head and have an extra reel with a regular fly line in either 4 or 5 weight respectively to what rod I'm fishing that day. Single hand Skagit is really fun, especially in the winter where the rivers are running super low flows and my 3 and 4 wt. trout speys are overkill. I only rig up a nymph rig if I absolutely have to. I'd rather get a grab or two or a fish or two than stare at an indicator all day. Then, again, I fished nymphs under an indicator for over 20 years until I discovered single hand Skagit, then steelheading in Oregon, then trout spey here in Colorado. It couldn't have come at a better time for me in my fly fishing journey, as I had become bored of trout fishing until I started doing single hand Skagit and then trout spey. Now, I can't get enough of trout fishing again.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I do what thirdcoaststeelheader does as well. I fish either a Sage One 490 or a Sage ZXL 590 with an Airflo Scout 180 grain head and have an extra reel with a regular fly line in either 4 or 5 weight respectively to what rod I'm fishing that day. Single hand Skagit is really fun, especially in the winter where the rivers are running super low flows and my 3 and 4 wt. trout speys are overkill. I only rig up a nymph rig if I absolutely have to. I'd rather get a grab or two or a fish or two than stare at an indicator all day. Then, again, I fished nymphs under an indicator for over 20 years until I discovered single hand Skagit, then steelheading in Oregon, then trout spey here in Colorado. It couldn't have come at a better time for me in my fly fishing journey, as I had become bored of trout fishing until I started doing single hand Skagit and then trout spey. Now, I can't get enough of trout fishing again.
since you are fishing Colorado in the winter I assume it is tailwater...what flies do you swing this time of year....